Show us your tomatoes

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cat', which ones were those?

A number of people say that Sungold is too sweet, "cloying." I guess. That one and Sun Sugar in my garden are more like candy than tomatoes.

Larger varieties: Kellogg's Breakfast seemed like the best but it's just too late! Dr. Wyche's seemed like such a good choice for a sandwich tomato. Once again, too late.

I'm tempted to grow Woodle Orange and tried to at one time. It was just that the seed wasn't true. The little yellow tomato I ended up with is very mild, so of course, DW really likes it.

An almost too mild one was Dagma's Perfection. Pretty.

Thankfully, Lemon Boy doesn't taste like a lemon but it sure had problems with cracking this year! Healthy, big plants ... oh well ...

Steve

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cat, do you think the Russian Beauty is sweeter or better than Sungold? I don't find Sungold to be all that sweet or super productive. I've grown Sungold for years but I think it's time for a change. Trying to find one that is sweeter or more productive. That's why I'm interested in trying yours.

Mary

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cat', which ones were those?

A number of people say that Sungold is too sweet, "cloying." I guess. That one and Sun Sugar in my garden are more like candy than tomatoes.

Larger varieties: Kellogg's Breakfast seemed like the best but it's just too late! Dr. Wyche's seemed like such a good choice for a sandwich tomato. Once again, too late.

I'm tempted to grow Woodle Orange and tried to at one time. It was just that the seed wasn't true. The little yellow tomato I ended up with is very mild, so of course, DW really likes it.

An almost too mild one was Dagma's Perfection. Pretty.

Thankfully, Lemon Boy doesn't taste like a lemon but it sure had problems with cracking this year! Healthy, big plants ... oh well ...

Steve
I forgot what the yellow was. I cooked just yellows for a sauce as a treat and the steam smelled caustic like it was heavily acid. There are so many sweet reds that i don't bother any more. They certainly are beautiful.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't find Sungold to be all that sweet ... Trying to find one that is sweeter
See how tastes are subjective :). Maybe it's the Bay Area climate, Mary.

I've grown Super Sweet 100's for years. It isn't as sweet as my 2 golden cherries. Super productive but not candy-sweet.

Really like Sweet Chelsea for the size and flavor. It also decided to have splitting problems in 2017.

Steve

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, I think it must be the climate or maybe soil. I also don't like the fact that my Sungold split whenever I pick to give some away.

My jalapenos are not as hot as I think they should be either.

Mary

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh I really like that Sungold! I didn't grow any for myself this year, but did grow some in a patio pot for a client. I had the hardest time resisting the urge to pick them whenever I was watering them. Finally my clients left for a week and I gobbled them all up. :D
So sweet! Perfection even!

Poppa T

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score

Duckworth

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
My tomatoes were prolific here in the Central Plains. I planted fewer plants, but got my largest and longest ever harvest. I grew Orange Oxheart, Black Prince, Brandywine both Pink and Red, San Marzano, Mortgage Lifter, Boxcar Willie, Yellow Pear, Lemon Boy, Sweet Cluster, Early Girl, Sugary, and Cherokee Purple.

Orange Oxheart
IMG_1238.JPG

Mortgage Lifter, Boxcar Willie, Sugary, Early Girl, Lemon Boy
IMG_2134.JPG

Early Girls, I think
IMG_2177.JPG

I think this is a Brandywine, but I can't remember. Some of my Mortgage Lifters got huge this year, too.
F0A8F215-24AE-49C1-B8E6-3C9F96084662.JPG

The Black Prince and Orange Oxheart are my husband's favorites. The San Marzanos are good for sauce and paste. The Sugary are grape-sized and I eat them straight from the vine. The Early Girls and Boxcar Willies are my favorites for BLTs. And BLTs are my favorites. I could (and do) live on them from July through September. My husband also likes the Lemon Boys and Yellow Pears on his salads. The Yellow Pear vines were twelve feet long at the end of the season and covered in fruit.

I had to harvest due to killing frost right before Halloween this year. We put everything in our unheated basement for canning over the next few days, but a family emergency mucked up that plan and I ended up having to compost a lot of it. This was my first year canning. Our extra freezer went out, too, so I couldn't freeze everything to preserve it. There's always next year!

Last edited:

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
My tomatoes were prolific here in the Central Plains. I planted fewer plants, but got my largest and longest ever harvest. I grew Orange Oxheart, Black Prince, Brandywine both Pink and Red, San Marzano, Mortgage Lifter, Boxcar Willie, Yellow Pear, Lemon Boy, Sweet Cluster, Early Girl, Sugary, and Cherokee Purple.

Orange Oxheart
View attachment 23163

Mortgage Lifter, Boxcar Willie, Sugary, Early Girl, Lemon Boy View attachment 23164

Early Girls, I thinkView attachment 23165

I think this is a Brandywine, but I can't remember. Some of my Mortgage Lifters got huge this year, too.View attachment 23166

The Black Prince and Orange Oxheart are my husband's favorites. The San Marzanos are good for sauce and paste. The Sugary are grape-sized and I eat them straight from the vine. The Early Girls and Boxcar Willies are my favorites for BLTs. And BLTs are my favorites. I could (and do) live on them from July through September. My husband also likes the Lemon Boys and Yellow Pears on his salads. The Yellow Pear vines were twelve feet long at the end of the season and covered in fruit.

I had to harvest due to killing frost right before Halloween this year. We put everything in our unseated basement for canning over the next few days, but a family emergency mucked up that plan and I ended up having to compost a lot of it. This was my first year canning. Our extra freezer went out, too, so I couldn't freeze everything to preserve it. There's always next year!
Beautiful.. I especially love the orange Oxheart!

Latest posts