"Shrek's Ear" plant.....

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have 'something' growing in my kitchen window. My sister-in-law loves it and wants to get some but we have NO idea what it is. (she's in Ten or I would just pinch off a chunk and let her root it)
The one I have is about 9 or 10 yrs old. It has grown up into a little bonzi tree looking thing - maybe 6-8" high. It came with an assortment of cacti in a dish garden from walmart. The 'tree trunks' are gnarly and have little succulent-type leaves in bunches at the tips. The 'leaves' look like Shrek's ear.
8721_shrek-ear.jpg

At the base of each group of ears it puts out a bunch of little hairy looking roots, that will eventually get pretty hard and prickly. As it grows, the 'ears' dry up and fall off, leaving the 'trunk' bare.

Any ideas???

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, howbout some photos of it?

:p

All I know about this Shrek thing is from seeing advertisements of it someplace, I think on a jar of cranberry juice. Some kind of big green friendly aliens I think.

Really got me curious about a plant with alien hollow ears!

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well... the picture above IS Shrek's ear. I'll post one of the plant when I get home.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I thought that was a closeup of the shrek's eae or antenna thing. It's computer generated image I think...guessing

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here's the plant. Yeah Marshall, I think it might be some sort of jade plant... maybe

8721_dscf1195.jpg

8721_dscf1194.jpg

And if you happen to know the name of the spikey thing behind it, that would be cool too. That one makes me think of those big treelike plants in deserts.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Jade relative was Chickie's guess, and I agree, looks like it.

The deep brownish red plant looks to me like an Aloe species.

You sure do have a special collection there! I really love succulents.

Latest posts