Sick Beans

RidgebackRanch

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Does anybody know what this is, I just noticed it this morning?
7434_sick_bean_6-13-2011_003.jpg

The whiteish spots are on the other leaf as well, did not see it on the other plants but I want to treat it asap to keep from spreading.
Any thoughts?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Powdery mildew is a thought . . .

Fungal diseases are difficult to deal with organically. Sometimes, plants can outgrow the problem without too much trouble. My beans have had the same sort of damage as we can see in your photo but have still done okay with surviving and producing a crop.

You can push back with some things like milk sprays and baking soda (sodium bicarbonate).

I have used neem on mildew and found that it didn't help. I guess that others have been successful.

Stress weakens plants and seems to result in mildew. Being smothered in moisture or arid conditions have both resulted in mildew on my plants. Some don't take it very well (like squash). Beans have not been seriously bothered but, that's here.

Steve

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Can you thin them at all- to increase air circulation? Are they close together? As Steve mentioned, they may grow out of this problem... it doesn't look awful, at this point. Good luck!

RidgebackRanch

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. They are well spaced, about 5 inches between plants. I have some sulfur based fungicide hopefully that will help. :fl

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I worked in a commercial greenhouse, we used sulfur as a fumigant for mildew. The weather was usually such that ventilation wasn't possible in the mornings and we'd start off the day in a yellow haze!

We'd finish the day smelling like we'd just worked a shift guarding the gates of Hell!

The sulfur seemed effective against the mildew but the management decided to take the next step in living better thru chemistry. The fumigation system began to be used for more sophisticated synthetic fungicides.

This had a different odor. The fact that nothing was said on these pesticides' Material Safety Data Sheet about their use in this way (high heat) wasn't seen as reason not to turn the interior air technicolor every night and morning.

Steve
feeling somewhat anti-corporate ag this morning

Latest posts