Side dressing

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would caution anyone using compost for a nitrogen source in sidedressing if you are trying to fix a nitrogen problem. Compost could have a lot of fiber and the microbes trying to break it down are going to tie up nitrogen--could make problem worse.

The concept of side dressing is to address a lack of nitrogen either now or in the future (in case of corn). If your plants don't show yellowing from nitrogen loss, don't need to do it. For a lot of vegetables, foliar feed is probably more efficient than sidedressing.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I side dress my fruit treats while they are dormant in the spring, then not again until the following year. I don't add much else to my annual veggies. But I've learned to throw a little more compost when things start to fruit. I side dress tomatoes with crushed egg shell when they start to fruit, extra calcium boost... and I side dress blueberries 2 times with coffee grounds throughout the season.

I don't really do much with my strawberries yet, but I've thought about it, maybe someone has a good 'organic' suggestion for those.

I know some people who just throw all purpose fertlizer out, but I think they may just be too much... and once you over do the fertilizing, you can't turn back!

desertgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
vfem-
I added crushed eggshells at the bottom of my planting holes,(along with a pinch of the calcium granules I feed to the chickens). Hopefully this will ward off the accursed bottom end rot I experienced last year. It is very reassuring to hear that you do the same thing!

As for the side dressing, I think I will just give them a dose of my home made compost a few times this season. That should probably do the trick.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
desertgirl said:
How often do you guys apply fertilizer (average). I am going to research specific's plant's needs, but about once a month is aveage, right?
You are getting good advice, DG.

Time of year also makes a difference since it effects rate of growth and fertilizer needs. Around here, things start off so slowly with spring rains and cool soil/air temperatures that my starter fertilizer can last 2 months.

If my crop is lettuce or radish, I won't need to apply any more for those plants. If something is in the ground for a longer season, more fertilizer can be applied about 2 months in. Usually, I miss a 3rd application because things are winding down. There's also the issue of too late an application -- this may be a problem with carrots splitting late in the year, for instance.

I don't suppose you are doing much hilling-up with your square foot gardening but putting down fertilizer before pulling soil up around the plants works well for me. Foliar application, as Seedcorn seems fond of, is really a good way of dealing with some plants. With onions in beds and tomatoes in "sprawls," I can't really get in there for any hilling of the plants. Running around like a mad man with my sprinkler can of fish emulsion works well during those weeks of the year :). I like to apply it twice, about a week or so apart.

I know . . . it smells funny (or is that, "funky" or just, "bad" . . ? ;)).

Steve

jamespm_98

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
vfem said:
I side dress my fruit treats while they are dormant in the spring, then not again until the following year. I don't add much else to my annual veggies. But I've learned to throw a little more compost when things start to fruit. I side dress tomatoes with crushed egg shell when they start to fruit, extra calcium boost... and I side dress blueberries 2 times with coffee grounds throughout the season.

I don't really do much with my strawberries yet, but I've thought about it, maybe someone has a good 'organic' suggestion for those.

I know some people who just throw all purpose fertlizer out, but I think they may just be too much... and once you over do the fertilizing, you can't turn back!
I added a little "Plant Tone" organic fertilizer to my strawberries about 6 weeks ago and they look very good. I typically only use compost, but kind of hard to do with a bed of strawberries. I have rabbits so next year I will probably just add some composted rabbit poo, well see how that goes.

desertgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
digitS' said:
desertgirl said:
How often do you guys apply fertilizer (average). I am going to research specific's plant's needs, but about once a month is aveage, right?
You are getting good advice, DG.

Time of year also makes a difference since it effects rate of growth and fertilizer needs. Around here, things start off so slowly with spring rains and cool soil/air temperatures that my starter fertilizer can last 2 months.

If my crop is lettuce or radish, I won't need to apply any more for those plants. If something is in the ground for a longer season, more fertilizer can be applied about 2 months in. Usually, I miss a 3rd application because things are winding down. There's also the issue of too late an application -- this may be a problem with carrots splitting late in the year, for instance.

I don't suppose you are doing much hilling-up with your square foot gardening but putting down fertilizer before pulling soil up around the plants works well for me. Foliar application, as Seedcorn seems fond of, is really a good way of dealing with some plants. With onions in beds and tomatoes in "sprawls," I can't really get in there for any hilling of the plants. Running around like a mad man with my sprinkler can of fish emulsion works well during those weeks of the year :). I like to apply it twice, about a week or so apart.

I know . . . it smells funny (or is that, "funky" or just, "bad" . . ? ;)).

Steve
I used fish emulsion last year, and it seemed to work really well. I'll probably do a little of both-my soil is a mix of peat,compost,potting soil and vermiculite (heavy on the compost), so I think they'll be good for a while. In a month or two I'll apply some fish oil, then a month or two later compost (which will give my "hot" chicken poo plenty of time to cool off).Maybe switch of between the two every couple of months.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
jamespm_98 said:
vfem said:

I added a little "Plant Tone" organic fertilizer to my strawberries about 6 weeks ago and they look very good. I typically only use compost, but kind of hard to do with a bed of strawberries. I have rabbits so next year I will probably just add some composted rabbit poo, well see how that goes.
ooh... I do have some organic plant tone, I have loved that stuff since I first found it. But so far have only used it on my shrubs without thinking. I will try those in the strawberry bed for sure now. Thanks!