Simple & Easy Home Aquaponics - Hydroponics ?

Nifty

Garden Addicted
Administrator
Reaction score
Ok, I know this is probably a slippery slope, but I thought I'd DABBLE in this a little bit. I guess technically I already am.... ;)

A few months ago I had some green onions from the store and ended up putting them in water. I was SHOCKED at how fast they grew!!! :ep

IMG_20200116_165723.jpg

So, I got to thinking it might be fun to take this to a slightly higher level. Nothing crazy, but just a fun little project.

I LOVE the idea of aquaponics (fish + plants + carbon-cycle = FOOD). I'm just worried this may be a bit more commitment than I'm ready for right now... but that depends on how much "work" it is.

Remember, I'm going from "put plants in jar with water" to something a little bit more interesting, but I can't commit to a big ol' project.

This video on basic hydroponics was helpful in making me think "yeah, I can do this"

... or maybe I just KISS and stick with putting some onions and romaine lettuce into a few cups of water. ;)

sweelgarden

Sprout
Reaction score
There are only a couple of build-it-yourself aquaponics system guides that I would recommend, and Aquaponics 4 You by John Fay, a Certified Organic Farmer and Aquaponics Expert, is one of them.

It’s a written manual and video that shows you the step-by-step process of building a simple and fully functional aquaponics system for under $400 (a heck of a lot cheaper than buying a pre-made system from the shops).

Latest posts