Since we seem to still be getting a lot of new people without the Location field filled in...

Madhouse Pullet

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Do an online search on " USDA Plant Hardiness Zone Map". You should get all kinds of hits.

Or use this but they want your zip code.

These zones are based on minimum annual temperatures. I don't find them useful for veggies since you account for that as to when you plant them. To me these zones are of more use for trees and bushes. Can they survive your winters?

When I was in Arkansas I was on the border of zones 6 and 7 so any tree I got needed to be good for zones 5, 6, 7 and 8. Especially fruit trees.
Thank you! 9a with surrounding areas in 9b. Very interesting to see the map with the different zones. I'll be able to read planting suggestions without wondering what zone I'm in.

It would be cool if that was how you selected your location at sign up. Enter the zip code to find your zone, and clicking the appropriate zone would select that as your "location".

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Do an online search on " USDA Plant Hardiness Zone Map". You should get all kinds of hits.

Or use this but they want your zip code.

These zones are based on minimum annual temperatures. I don't find them useful for veggies since you account for that as to when you plant them. To me these zones are of more use for trees and bushes. Can they survive your winters?

When I was in Arkansas I was on the border of zones 6 and 7 so any tree I got needed to be good for zones 5, 6, 7 and 8. Especially fruit trees.

notice the legend on that Map? "Average Annual Extreme Minimum Temperature 1976-2005"

for more in depth by county you may find the following interesting to look at and the base data is available for download for local analysis/graphing too. :)

TJOHLSSON

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Is there a way to get this a required feild or one that is more prominantly suggested? it would save a lot of us having to keep asking people to do this. in the text you can suggest that it just be general enough but useful so that people who are trying to help can have a chance to get a better reply... i hope this makes sense?

@Nifty or @Support
I tried to add it to my profile but was unable. Would appreciate help.

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
2015 Cold Hardiness Zones.png

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Dirtmechanic I wonder why this one is different than the USDA map. This one has me firmly in zone 8 while the USDA map has me as zone 7.

things have warmed up. but i still try to find perennials that are hardier down to zone 4 for us even if that says zone 6.

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@Dirtmechanic I wonder why this one is different than the USDA map. This one has me firmly in zone 8 while the USDA map has me as zone 7.
The zones are something like 15 year averages and that is an older map, so something related to math has no doubt occured. We were a 7b and are now an 8a. I like that the map only has numbers, none of this a-b confusion. I would like a letter out front of the number to represent climate, such as C for continental or Mediterreanian. What is the climate name where your air is influenced by the ocean instead of a land mass? Maritime? Anyway that one is why I cannot grow eucalyptus in my yard even though I am zoned for it, but they can in Australia. And no- I am not trying to start a teddy bear farm. I just like the smell and they are a bit of a medicine plant.
things have warmed up. but i still try to find perennials that are hardier down to zone 4 for us even if that says zone 6.
Yeah I find "middle" zoning of plant ratings to be very useful. Maybe its a marketing influence to spread a plant rating as broadly as possible, marginal ratings seem to create more work at some point.

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
so I think it was already posted:

Anyway clicking the map showed me my state in detail which is pretty cool.

al.jpg

I really have some trouble with the oddly similar color frequencies that are on the map and legend. Its like they were made on different softwares and interpolated, or converted from cmyk to rgb or something and back again. At least that is how I get subtle color shifts on Coreldraw when I am messing about.

Madhouse Pullet

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
What do the temperatures mean? Is that how much hotter it gets or??
so I think it was already posted:

Anyway clicking the map showed me my state in detail which is pretty cool.

View attachment 40221

I really have some trouble with the oddly similar color frequencies that are on the map and legend. Its like they were made on different softwares and interpolated, or converted from cmyk to rgb or something and back again. At least that is how I get subtle color shifts on Coreldraw when I am messing about.

Latest posts