Small backdoor garden

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I love this little garden, it came out really nice this year:

dooryardgarden.jpg

Here it is today, from another angle:

backdoor.jpg

My 'lawn' back there consists of old grass, dandelions and ever other weed imaginable, but the gardens are under control ;)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Are those forget-me-nots growing thru a hosta?

Ann, your season looks to be just about where mine is. (Your lawn does, too ;)) I just noticed today that the neighbor's bleeding hearts have just begun to flower, which means mine will soon. They are in a little more shade.

A few dandelion seed pods showed up a couple of days ago but most of the plants are just now in full bloom :).

When the neighbor left her grandson in her car for me to watch while she went back for something she "forgot" in the house. I welcomed her back with a tiny bouquet of forget-me-nots. This morning was the first I've seen of them. Now, if you have some wood hyacinths blooming (and some spent daffodils), that could be my yard.

Steve :D
edited to correct my spelling of hyacinths.

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
No, Steve, that's Brunnera 'Jack Frost', and it's so happy it has actually seeded in, there's another one further down. Yes, I know, it's a cultivar, but the baby looks remarkably like the parent!! The bleeding hearts have actually been blooming now for well over ten days. This cool rain is keeping everything looking pretty fresh, but soon they'll rot if we don't get some sun!!

The dandelions bloomed in earnest about ten days ago, too. You should see the stems out there right now. Hubby has mowed them down twice, there's just as many out there again. The bees love them, if I ever get around to installing a lawn I'll have to accept them because there's no way I can get rid of them all, I'm afraid. It's ok, though, I do love them.

So I'm thinking we're a good two or three weeks ahead of you season-wise. You're more on par with the Maine ranch, I think.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lovely little garden! My forget-me- nots have been blooming for at least a week. One of my favorite sights!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Very cute and carefree. I love bleeding hearts. :love It's nice to have something so pretty close to where you pass by daily. Really lifts the spirits. :)

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sweet little garden Rainbeau, is that a variegated polemonium I see in there? I have the regular green foliaged ones and one variegated, and I was surprised at the difference in growth habit.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Are those bleeding hearts? I love bleeding hearts.... I just don't have enough shade for them. :)

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
thistlebloom said:
Sweet little garden Rainbeau, is that a variegated polemonium I see in there? I have the regular green foliaged ones and one variegated, and I was surprised at the difference in growth habit.
Yes, it is, that is the only spot I've been able to have that 'take', for some reason. It's rather temperamental - but seems to be happy there.

vfem said:
Are those bleeding hearts? I love bleeding hearts.... I just don't have enough shade for them. :)
Yes, those are the real old-fashioned bleeding hearts. On the other side of the stairs I've got the fringe leafed, it's very different. Then, on the side of the house, I've got the white old-fashioned bleeding heart - those aren't my favorite, but they're happy enough over there, by the astrantia.

Latest posts