Smart? Not so much, yet.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i finally switched over to a 'smart' phone a couple months ago after having a prepaid flip phone for years. i hardly use it since my original intent was to use it for emergencies & occasional calling home before leaving work to see if we needed something. i was spending $30 every 3 months to have the true prepaid flip phone where i could roll over the unused time the next time i got a card/minutes. i wanted to update/upgrade to a better phone but everything that was 'prepaid' was $45/month with no contract. prices were too much of a shocker for me so i went looking online for other options.

i settled on a company that does something different than those big wig cell phone companies. i'm supposed to pay around $17/month + taxes but because i don't use more than .5gb of data i get a rebate making my monthly payments around $12.50/month. i just got my 4th bill on Saturday so i'm convinced i'll be sticking with them as long as i can. my dh is deciding on switching when his prepaid phone bites the dust.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Kid#2 does something like that too @Chickie'sMomaInNH .
I don't know what company he's using, but his bill was extremely low. He virtually never texts, (or calls :rolleyes:) so he just uses it for some internet.
I think he said his bill was like, $5? Something ridiculous anyway.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
On my check in forums I would ask clients for home and work numbers, then ask if they have a cell. Today I ask for cell then say do you have a land line. More and more people are giving up their land lines and only using cell.

Could be why they look at me like I have a third eye when they ask that question and I don't have a cell number to give. They act like I just stepped off the boat from some third world country...but then, even THEY have cell phones, don't they? :D

I think it's nice to have a phone number that hasn't changed for 20+ yrs. I don't know a single number of my kids' phones, they have changed that often...the only way I get by is having them on speed dial on the my home phone.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
Kid#2 does something like that too @Chickie'sMomaInNH .
I don't know what company he's using, but his bill was extremely low. He virtually never texts, (or calls :rolleyes:) so he just uses it for some internet.
I think he said his bill was like, $5? Something ridiculous anyway.
i'm using Republic Wireless. i thought they had a cheap plan around that amount about 2 years ago from some of the reviews i read that were old seems they did away with those plans. but still, what i have with them is better that those big named companies are charging.

they want you to stick as much as possible to using wi-fi but you can still make cell calls. as long as i shut off access to the apps to running on the cell data i'm good for my low monthly bill. :thumbsup

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, Nyboy, I LOVE Sirius! A couple of times a year (right now, I believe) they offer 90 days free that I definitely take advantage of. Paying for radio? Not in this life-time! I would have to be homeless and living in my car to warrant wasting money on a special radio program when the radio is otherwise free. Of course, then I couldn't afford it.

I feel the same way about paying for television programing. Not going to happen.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i disconnected the cable/satellite about 4 years ago and haven't gone back since! i did pick up a Roku almost 3 years ago and only pay to have Hulu & NetFlix, most other stuff the little box supplies for free! the year i disconnected i realized how many rerun programs my dh wasted time watching & paying for. i came home to him watching reruns of A Team & other 80's shows. he was in & out of work during those time periods so it made it easy to justify the cord cutting.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think most people would be surprised at how much a person can accomplish when they don't waste time on TV . I think people forget the time when folks were actually outside working and playing...back when TV was three channels and none of them any good until Saturday night, after dark, when all the playing and working was done for the week. :D