**SNAILS & SLUGS ?????**I'm thinking of using this.

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Sure it might work. I was listening to a gardening program on the radio and they were discussing slug problems and it sounded like no one had a foolproof method, but I'm not sure that I remember them discussing an electric fence for snail/slugs. I do remember they didn't have much positive to say about the copper tape (or whatever it is) that some people have used. Seems like it was more common that people are plucking them and throwing them in the neighbor's yard. :gig

My low tech method for detering slugs that works pretty well is to surround whatever plants need protection with a mulch of used coffee grounds. It works just great for me. Supposedly the slugs really do not like the caffeine. :idunno

noobiechickenlady

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I'll have to try the coffee grounds. I usually put mine in my compost heap.
I've had success using small shallow bowls of beer. I caught 12 slugs in one night with one bowl this way.

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yeah, noobiechickenlady, beer works, but then you have to clean up the mess. :sick

Coffee grounds have the extra benefit of adding nitrogen to the soil. :)

noobiechickenlady

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Definitely :sick

Crushed eggshells help too, and add calcium, but those usually go to my chickens.

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Good point. Eggshells are a relatively scarce resource around here too, though. Most go back to my birds too.

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I dont know about slugs, but recently someone suggest that crushing egg shells and mixing with used coffee grounds will help repel those little green worms that destroy broccoli and cabbage. Is this true? has anyone tried it?

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I use these....

1002851.jpg

1002861d.jpg

Mind you, the plants have to be protected or they will also clear those out :D Did you know ducks like basil? I do NOW! :gig

In the front yard where I have my beans (and the ducks can't go), slugs, earwigs and pill bugs have done a number on several of the plants. DE works to a point but you have to keep reapplying.

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow Beautiful photos wifezilla. :D

I've been scouting around a bit more & found that my favourite stand-by, Epsom Salts is suppose to hold off the dreaded slugs -- typically I've just run out........... :barnie..........I'll have to wait till Monday now. Still at least it's stopped raining & it's very warm.

Here's one of the sites I found:-

http://www.momstalknetwork.com/resources/mommys-little-helper-epson-salt/

Hope it works! If any of you use it could you let us know if it's at all successful, please.

:rose Hattie :rose

Latest posts