Snap Peas

annageckos

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have more sugar and snow peas then I can eat fresh. And a ton more to be picked. They are doing great this year. Last year I blanched and froze the extra peas, but I don't like how they came out, so off to google I went to see if I could just freeze them without blanching. It seems some people do it. So anyone here freeze snap peas without blanching? Does it work? How do you like them frozen?

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Throw a couple in the freezer and she how you like them. Shouldn't take long for you to see and taste your results.

Mary

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I froze squash last year without blanching. The secret is a Food Saver vacuum sealer. If you don't have one, it is well worth it. I use it for lots of stuff. I fire up the BBQ pit and we cook all day long, sausage, chicken, hamburgers, roast, then I package it in meal sized portions with my Food Saver.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Without blanching is the way we do it. And, just washed, tossed into a bag and into the freezer.

However, peas from the freezer aren't as good as fresh . . . this way, anyway.

We do a fairly good job of binging! There will be a couple of weeks coming up soon when nearly all the green vegetables consumed in the house will be peas of one kind or another. Then, we will be on to something else!

Steve

annageckos

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm going to give it a try, I do have a food saver and I love it. It really makes a difference. I still have some carrots and green beans from last year in the freezer in food saver bags. Though for snap peas my favorite way to eat them is raw, they are so sweet.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm going to give it a try, I do have a food saver and I love it. It really makes a difference. I still have some carrots and green beans from last year in the freezer in food saver bags. Though for snap peas my favorite way to eat them is raw, they are so sweet.
Yeah, but can you eat them ALL? NOW? Stuff them in your cheeks like a hamster? Maybe the Food Saver is the better idea....... :lol:

annageckos

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
With the help of my little bratty bird I could sure give it a good try... Breakfast, bowl of snap peas. Lunch, snap pea sandwich. Dinner, snap peas with a side of snow peas and some snap pea for dessert. Mmmmmmmmmmm, snap peas.:drool Of course after a few days of that I'll be like o_O:barnie:ep:th:hit:duc:hide

Last edited:

Latest posts