Snow, milk and Bread

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I believed the meteorologist when they told us Monday that this was coming. What always surprises me is that people wait until the very last minute to prepare. If you prep and it doesn't happen, well...you're not really out anything. I went to the store Tuesday for my regular shopping trip. I had to have DH pick up a big bag of ice for me yesterday on his way home. We're making pineapple sherbet. :)

It's really starting to come down now. They were supposed to leave work early at 2pm, but that was when they thought the snow would begin at 2pm, so I hope he's on his way now. He said he was going to stop at Redbox and get the Minion movie, but I figure that is all sold out too. Hot chocolate and a movie sounds like a plan. I'm looking forward to a little downtime. Stay safe and warm everybody!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Why do people need so much milk and bread when it snows? Stopped at supermarket on way to work, sold out of milk and people fighting in bread isle. WHY
When the power goes out you can still eat sandwiches and cereal. I am fortunate to have a gas stove so I can still do cooktop cooking no matter what the power situation.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm with you, NYboy....just how many times will a person finding themselves scrambling about trying to buy groceries before a big storm before they realize that big storms~of some type or another~ come every single year and they forecast them days ahead of time, so there's really no excuse for anyone to be last minute stocking pantries in a panic. It always mystifies me as well.

I think people just enjoy the drama of it all, but I'm not sure exactly why...maybe because they've never really faced many tough situations so they try to make every situation into something bigger than it really is? Could be why they talk endlessly and in fearful tones about the weather that's coming, like it's something new and mysterious that no one has ever seen before.

Heard on the news yesterday how an inch of snow "crippled" D.C. and how the city could have handled the crisis better. :th Now, for some reason I always assumed that DC gets snow every winter, so not sure why an inch of snow would stun a whole city?

While most residents of Washington, D.C. were worrying about a possible blizzard this weekend, a small snow event on Wednesday triggered hours of gridlock on major roads in this region, forcing some commuters to abandon their vehicles, while others struggled to get home well after midnight.

I don't particularly care for drama, so I stock up each year as a matter of routine because I live in a state that has snow and winter conditions, where the power goes out even on a sunny day with no storms at all and it's just good sense to have more than a week's worth of groceries on hand if you intend to live past a week's worth of days.

If I stopped by a store right before a storm, I'd be grabbing "snow munchies" and such, not milk or bread. :D Chocolate, chips, dip.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
:yuckyuck Funny, Nyboy. I've had much the same thing happen to me. The store I use most often is 24/7 so I'm always expecting other groceries to have the same schedule.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
My son called to say he was woke up at 2:30 yesterday morning by someone knocking at the door. It was a little boy with no shoes or coat, in 18 degree weather. Turns out his mom was working, and the baby sitter left after he fell asleep. He woke up to an empty house, and was going to try to go to grandma's. He walked a couple of blocks, apparently. And got lost. He is 5. He would have easily frozen to death out there!

Latest posts