So Cal new gardening family

ChiknGordonBlu

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Howdy all,
So my family is completely new to gardening, I have not done it since I was a kid so my skills are pretty rusty. My 3 girls all have taken a liking to learning how to garden and my wife is also wanting to learn it. Everything we will have at the moment will be in a raised bed as our soil is not really that great. We are starting off pretty basic with tomato and cucumber plants with some herbs and our established fruit trees. The aim is to be able to not have to rely on grocery stores for everything and save some money in the process. Thanks in advance for all your support.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on taking the steps to rely more on your own efforts to provide good food to eat. You can raise a lot of vegetables in raised beds. Ask any questions you have, we will be more than glad to help.

ChiknGordonBlu

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on taking the steps to rely more on your own efforts to provide good food to eat. You can raise a lot of vegetables in raised beds. Ask any questions you have, we will be more than glad to help.
Thank you very much, I'm sure I will have plenty of questions lol

ChiknGordonBlu

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hey there, I used to live in Simi Valley. You've got a great growing climate to work with. :) How big is your garden bed?
Where I am the soil is pretty barren, so we are mostly doing raised beds as I get free crates from work. Each crate is roughly 2.5'w x 2'h x 5'l and i guess I have about 20-25 of them at the moment and will be getting more. :thumbsup

ChiknGordonBlu

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Welcome but you are opening a can that can’t be closed. Once your family finds out what fresh really tastes like, get ready to expand garden, just a friendly warning..... welcome
LOL, that is exactly what I want. I'm hoping the taste will also get them more excited about helping out with it. My youngest 2 are less than eager lol.

Latest posts