So, "nothing-to-do-with-gardening"

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
This will take a course beyond any expectations.

I make appointments for haircuts using email.

My barber closed her shop and "retired" about 5 years ago. Of course, being the unimaginative person that I am - I followed along to her home. She set up her chair in her living room for about the 1st year since I must not have been the only person tagging along. Before too long, she had relegated the barber chair to her large utility room, just screening off the washer & drier. I continued to show up.

About a week after I'd asked for an appointment time, I got a reply from her daughter! "Mom's in hospital. Here is her friend's number." Another barber shop. That was yesterday, this morning I have this very strange email: "Been kidknapped. tall building in valley. others here. dialsis."

Just like that . . . wow! The email info says the same phone was used as the message from her daughter. I think I've got this figured out. I know that Mom & daughter in her 30's live together. Daughter takes cell phone to respond to Mom's messages - returns cell phone to Mom. Illness, confusion.

It really helps for me to sort these things out by writing. I could think of no other response to the email than: "? dialysis?" I don't use a telephone so won't call the daughter at home. I'm reluctant to take the drive to show up unexpectedly there.

I certainly know something about dialysis, illness, confusion . . . I just didn't know my barber would be going thru this. What an odd post on TEG . . .

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, that was my first impression also.

However, how do I know this isn't from the 30-something daughter? My 2nd reaction had nothing to do with humor.

She has never joked with me over email. She shouldn't have felt it necessary to convey any more info than "Mom can't cut your hair."

She has never shared much of any information about her health. I certainly knew nothing about her having kidney problems. Since dialysis is also used to treat toxic levels of drugs, I can be confused by that as well and better not read too much into this.

Steve

Last edited:

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Did you send the message "? dialysis?" ? Perhaps they will answer.
Or you could send one along the lines "sending swat team, stay low, call me when safe"

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, the "? dialyis" note was sent. I think I know what I should do: assume it is from the Mom and try to engage her in a conversation about dialysis. I can be reassured that is Mom if I get a response.

Shoot. This won't be fun.

I have several years of experience running a hemo-dialysis machine for a loved one.

Steve

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I hope she's just trying to be funny. It does sound deliberate. She didn't ask you to call the police, at least. :p

Now that is some loyalty. It's so hard to find someone who cuts good hair!

Latest posts