So now that we've picked our popcorn, what do we do

FarmerDenise

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
To shell corn (including popcorn) I get a big bowl to put in my lap, have the corn on the cob on one side of me and an empty bucket on the other. I use my fingers to work the kernenls loose and let them drop into the bowl. Somtimes I use a tool like a spoon to get the first kernels loose. You will find that they pop out pretty easily. I then toss the cleaned cob in the bucket. It does do a number on your hands though, my SO prefers to wear gloves when he helps me.
I often do this while watching tv. It goes pretty fast once you get going. Last year I filled 1 five gallon bucket of dried sweet corn and a gallon jar of pop corn.
You can also put whole corncobs of popping corn in the microwave and pop it. Just make sure you put it in a paper bag or covered container or you'll have a microwave full of popped corn. :ep

janetnjim

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
FarmerDenise said:
To shell corn (including popcorn) I get a big bowl to put in my lap, have the corn on the cob on one side of me and an empty bucket on the other. I use my fingers to work the kernenls loose and let them drop into the bowl. Somtimes I use a tool like a spoon to get the first kernels loose. You will find that they pop out pretty easily. I then toss the cleaned cob in the bucket. It does do a number on your hands though, my SO prefers to wear gloves when he helps me.
I often do this while watching tv. It goes pretty fast once you get going. Last year I filled 1 five gallon bucket of dried sweet corn and a gallon jar of pop corn.
You can also put whole corncobs of popping corn in the microwave and pop it. Just make sure you put it in a paper bag or covered container or you'll have a microwave full of popped corn. :ep
Thank you so much Denise.
I think we picked ours a bit too soon because it isn't dry on the cob. Should we jist shuck it and let it dry before shellin' it?
Jim

FarmerDenise

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Yes, that is what I do. We have to pick our corn before the rains come or it gets moldy. We spread it out in boxes a couple of layers deep and store it in our enclosed patio. We check it regularly for mold. Sometimes I get impatient and bring some inside the house where it is warmer and it dries quicker. When it is really dry, it comes off the easiest. But if it is still a little moist and you are eager to shell it, it will continue to dry in a bowl. Just don't put it in a jar until it is absolutely dry.
I also put all shelled product (corn, beans & grains)and dried product (tomatoes, herbs, fruit, etc) in the freezer for a couple of days. It helps to kill off insect eggs that might be in or on the food. I lost a whole gallon jar of shelled beans one year to a nasty little bug that had layed it's eggs in the beans and they hatched and ate holes in my beans. Yuck!!

janetnjim

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
FarmerDenise said:
Yes, that is what I do. We have to pick our corn before the rains come or it gets moldy. We spread it out in boxes a couple of layers deep and store it in our enclosed patio. We check it regularly for mold. Sometimes I get impatient and bring some inside the house where it is warmer and it dries quicker. When it is really dry, it comes off the easiest. But if it is still a little moist and you are eager to shell it, it will continue to dry in a bowl. Just don't put it in a jar until it is absolutely dry.
I also put all shelled product (corn, beans & grains)and dried product (tomatoes, herbs, fruit, etc) in the freezer for a couple of days. It helps to kill off insect eggs that might be in or on the food. I lost a whole gallon jar of shelled beans one year to a nasty little bug that had layed it's eggs in the beans and they hatched and ate holes in my beans. Yuck!!
Thanx again Denise, I will do this. MMmm..i wonder if layin the ears in my dehydrater will help the dryin process at all?

Latest posts