So what's with the weather?

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It's been warm & rainy here, too. I don't want to complain about the rain, since we were still about 5" under normal last month. But I would like some SNOW! DH works for the ski slopes in this area, and they are hard pressed to make snow & keep it around with this kind of weather. The weather guy says it should cool off here by Friday. I hope it stays that way. I'm not a huge winter person, but I do like to see some snow on the ground.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Most scientists disagree with you.
HunkieDorie23 said:
lesa said:
Just noticed that I have flowers on the broccoli- which look a little sad, but basically alive. Anyone who thinks there is no global warming, isn't a gardener in upstate NY...
Honestly, I don't think the argument is global warming as much as "man made" global warming. I do not believe in this. The earth has been going through cycling climate changes for billions of years and man has not been on earth for billions of years. I think the earth is changing (as it always is) but I don't know that we can control or alter this.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Our snow almost all left!

Terrible winds yesterday! With gusts above 50mph and sustained winds above 35mph & an afternoon high of 38 - wow! I suppose it must have been flooding conditions some places. Still, a lot of that moisture just got up and left! I see that the Weather Channel, in their infinite wisdom, has named another storm for us. Likely, it has something to do with what we experienced here y'day.

It was garbage day! The guy across the street that forgot his can a week ago must have put half of that overfull can - in his next-door neighbor's backyard! Ha! . . . i shouldn't laugh (but they'll have to sort this out between them). Personally, I'm glad it didn't blow over the fence into the school playground.

Anywayz, the thermometer is in the low-20's now, it is still a little windy. Yeah, wind chill!

Snow IS coming!

Steve

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
We in SW Wa. had a 1/4" dusting of snow this morning at 5AM. ( we are at 300' elevation ) mostly on the cars and some on trees what hit the side walks and roads melted on contact. All had melted within the hour. The predicted 50 mph winds never showed up . Gusts of up to 20 mph yesterday ! The local TV news station in Portland Ore. had a streaming weather alert and the weatherette had the obligatory brushing off snow off of her car's windshield. Snow plow trucks out in full force at the higher elevations.( about 1,000") School bus delays of 2 hours. :idunno

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve's snow may have just about all left, but the difference in 30 miles or so around here is interesting. Yesterday a.m. we had driving rain, changing to slurry type stuff, then snow. Shoveling required more oomph. Yeah, our snow never really considered leaving, we still have tons! :)

Mattemma

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I don't mind the warm weather,but freezing rain and excessive bugs(not killed by cold) stink.

OldGuy43

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
catjac1975 said:
Most scientists disagree with you.
HunkieDorie23 said:
lesa said:
Just noticed that I have flowers on the broccoli- which look a little sad, but basically alive. Anyone who thinks there is no global warming, isn't a gardener in upstate NY...
Honestly, I don't think the argument is global warming as much as "man made" global warming. I do not believe in this. The earth has been going through cycling climate changes for billions of years and man has not been on earth for billions of years. I think the earth is changing (as it always is) but I don't know that we can control or alter this.
Or at least the most vocal ones. I agree with H'D'23.

global_temp2.jpg

The real problem is not global warming. That is a symptom. The root cause of all pollution is overpopulation. One human body produces about 341 BTU's per hour. One person would heat about 341 pounds of water 1 degree F, in an hour. Multiply that by the number of people on the planet versus just 100 years ago.

Or am I talking to the wrong crowd? :idunno

Latest posts