Social Security

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ok, I’m retired. Sign up, all is easy. Visiting with these people is like talking to the 3 stooges....... I’ve talked to 2 different places (one local office and on phone to national) 2 completely different answers. Both stating the other one is wrong. Meanwhile trying to figure out, mine, spousal, when each needs to vs has to sign up, amounts. IF our government people had to use SS, it would be fixed. Since they have their own gravy train-that is a perk to them-they could care less. If the crazies of the world see the need to kill innocent school children, church goers, etc, do some good and start with Washington DC Congress....... End of rant!

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Seed, I feel the pain. I have some frustration going on with taxes right now, which has an add-on effect with Medicare. It's actually not the IRS or Medicare's fault, the finance company supplied the wrong 1099-R and won't correct it. I have paperwork in with the IRS that should correct it but a lot depends on who in the IRS gets it. One person might actually look at it and see what happened, another will say until they get the right 10099-R they won't do anything. I hope I don't have to go to my congressman for hep but it amounts to about $6,000. It's worth some trouble.

But I thought I'd fact-check you. I found this on AARP's site. Congress does use Social Security and it's still a bureaucracy.

Since 1984, all members of Congress have paid into Social Security and are eligible for the same benefits that all participants receive. Members elected after 1984 pay into and are covered by the Federal Employees Retirement System (FERS) and become vested after five years of full participation.

And of course it's not right to post a threat. It can get you a visit from people charged with national security that you don't want visiting.

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have to begin that process of Medicare this coming January for my March 65th birthday. I've learned alot about it and Medicare Advantage programs. I won't be eligible for SS money tho until I'm 66 and 2 months.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Right now I’d welcome them. We’d have a nice conversation. Here, we have a local office that is filled with cranky old women and foreigners that don’t understand English. Example 1-local office, when I file for SS benefits, my wife MUST sign up for spousal or she can never have spousal benefits. And NO, I may not have an appointment to visit with an agent in the local office. Called federal phone number, who told you that? I can apply in January and my wife can wait till she wants to. Now, who is right? Local office won’t give you an appointment. National, says I should go in and visit.......

Looked up on internet.
A member of Congress retiring with five years' service under CSRS and 25 years under FERS at the same salary level would get an initial annual pension of $89,610. A member of Congress retiring with 30 years of service under the CSRS offset plan would get an initial annual benefit of $130,500

Last edited:

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've had my "officially old" card (Medicare) a few years. I think where you came from as far as insurance makes a lot of difference as to whether it is better or worse. Some doctors won't take it and be ready for questionaires. They want to know if you have fallen. Or do you have stairs at home. Whether you have stairs or not, do you have handrails? Things like that. And be ready for scammers. Medicare will pay for that back brace or wheelchair you need, whether you need them or not.

Because of savings and retirement I can wait on Social Security until I have to take it. I plan on being alive long enough for that to pan out. Based on family history I should live long enough. Also based on family history there are questions about how alert and active I'll be. The women in my ancestry seem to do better than the men.

I don't hate or dread getting older. Can't change it anyway, it's going to happen.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Ridgerunner The women always kill the men off, you are surprised? :hide

Couldn’t local office have at least one , knowledgeable, friendly person? They are like Beatrice on “Golden Girls” and Fez(?) on That 70’s Show. Leaving an excellent health care to Medicare is already culture shock. Just upset that what should be a very simple question is brain surgery for government employees......make all have Medicare, their personal retirement accounts (Roth, 401k, savings, bonds, etc) and SS only, it would be fixed. Until we feel the pain, we think “suck it up and take it like an adult”. (Why I’m always impressed women have children. Sorry, not having 9# kid coming out me, we’ll adopt....)

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@seedcorn make sure you get a good supplement. Medicare pays 80% (at a reduced rate I might add) and you pay 20% and no reduced rate for you! I watched my Mom’s benefits through doctor visits, emergency rooms, cataract surgery, stroke, stitches in her head from a fall and various other ailments. She had traditional Medicare and an AARP traditional supplement. She never paid anything out of pocket.

So we signed my husband up for traditional Medicare and traditional AARP supplement throughout Inited Health Care. Plan F, which is dropped this year. He’s had a triple bypass, knee replacement, shoulder replacement, prostate surgery, numerous health checkups and doctor visits. We have paid nothing out of pocket.

My birthday is in May so I won’t qualify for plan F. Phooey.

We found a SS office in Lufkin where the people are nice, helpful and knowledgeable. It used to be a 1 hour drive, now it is a 2 hour drive. A lot of the employees are veterans and we like that. We went to the SS office in Tyler one time and it was a dismal experience. Never again.

We have sent many people to the office in Lufkin and they were happy with the level of service.

Do I hear road trip to East Texas? LOL LOL

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I've only been to a SS office 2 times, once when I signed up and once when my wife signed up.
About the only thing that was negative was they had an armed guard in the lobby.
Our sign ups were uneventful and everything went without a hitch.

THANX RICH

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I went into the SS office for some reason, not long ago. There was a line in the vestibule. I waited awhile and a security guard showed up with some announcement. Before he left, he looked at me leaning on a cane. "Sir, do you need a chair?"

I said, "I think I could use a drop box." Held up some form or other.

"Right through that door there. It will be down and done."

Next time, I was notifying them of Dad's passing. The line stretched out the door! When I could squeeze in, I went right through "that door." The security guard spun around from his closed circuit screen. I held my letter up like a shield. "I just need to put this in your drop box."

He smiled and pointed to the box. Dang, even a drop box needs security at government offices!

Steve