Society garlic

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I just found some society garlic at a nursery. I'd heard about it for years but never tried it. Anyone have any advice abut it, either in growing or using it as an herb?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ah, a perennial that can't survive temperatures below 20 F . . . Probably why I know nothing . . .

Popular as a container plant, maybe a person could bring it in.

I thought maybe this was about a garlic that could be eaten and the eater would still be acceptable in polite society . . .

Sorry, Hoodie :rolleyes:.

Steve

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Actually that's where it got its name. Supposedly it has a garlic flavor but no objectionable odor. There's some controversy over whether that's true or not. The flavor is definitely there. I nipped a leaf and tasted it and had the garlic taste in my mouth for a long time. It is only distantly related to onions, garlic and chives being a Tulbegia rather than an Alium, as they are.
I thought it would be worth a try since it's native to the African cape and most of those are at home in San Diego. The one I got was the variegated just because it's showier.

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Planted it for years in the Bay Area. Pretty and aromatic. I used it as smaller foundation plants. I now have two of them up here, but they are in my pond in a fabric pot. Last winter our coldest temp was 19F, so I'll have to see if it survives. I did buy it locally at a nursery, and they only carry plants for our elevation.

chixluvdirt

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I had a "hedge" of society garlic planted in my garden (here in San Diego) as an ornamental. It is a really pretty plant with lovely flower heads.

I did not eat it, although I had heard that some used it like chives and the flower petals were edible in salads. Others said it causes stomach upset so I didn't try it.

The smell of the plant is almost overpoweringly 'garlicy' - (almost skunkish) much more so than actual garlic. On El Camino Real in Encinitas, it is planted all along the medium and during certain times of the year the smell of garlic/skunk is so strong you can even smell it with your windows closed.
I eventually took mine out because the smell was too strong.
Good luck- let us know how you like it :)

Ariel301

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
My husband found one on clearance at a store yesterday and since it said garlic, he scooped it up. Fortunately, thanks to having read this post, I had heard of it. It's a little wilty, but I think it will be all right. I can't find any information on the web about eating it, everywhere says that it is not edible. But I tasted a little of a leaf and it tasted good to me, like garlic chives. Maybe it will grow in my herb garden without being eaten by rabbits...

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hoodat...I had some of it for several years in my perenial beds. I finally took it out because I didn't like the smell. Like chixluvdirt says..it was kind of a garlicky/skunkish smell that I didn't like.

It was very easy to grow.

As for the plant I tend to like more vibrant colorful plants. Just my 2 cents.

Mary

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
An update. I split the pot into two clumps. One is in my regular garden and the other out front in my dry garden with poor sandy soil that I water only for a few minutes every two weeks. Both are doing fine. In fact, if anything, the one in my dry garden is doing slightly better.

Latest posts