software or website to design new garden

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Any ideas? I normally just start tiller & go until I run our of time, energy or room. Then plan in my head what I'm going to do. Since I'm going to have 10' X 30' of perennial garden in front of annual vegetable garden, I'd like to be a little more organized. Rest of garden is going to be (until I get stupid and add) 30' X 60' (maybe 75').

Any help will be appreciated.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Seedcorn, I have the barest ideas about online design tools :rolleyes:. Until just the other day, I didn't know that something like this was available - certainly not for free use.

Years ago, I had the clunkiest sort of software that I'd picked up somewhere. Honestly, I don't know how things might have improved. I am sure that there is software that is an improvement but over the last 10 years, there may well be online freebies for our use, as well.

Now downloading something . . . I am very reluctant to do that unless it is some bona fide outfit and something I'm paying for. But, if it is just an online program, that might be different and safe.

1st, I heard this discussed a little somewhere: Vegetable Garden Planner, from MotherEarthNews. It has a 30-day trial and then there must be a payment expected.

2nd, there is Gardener's Supply Kitchen Garden Planner. It does things 1 bed at a time, I suppose. It may be tedious to use this with a garden of some size.

3rd, I came across a seed company in the UK that seems quite useful even if the plot is small. I tried it out a little and had to set it for 1/4th of my smallest garden. (Actually, there is 1 smaller but I hadn't a clue how to plot a ~ 30' x 21' x 37' triangle!) Still, this program seemed useful to me.

4th, Jung Seed Company has a Vegetable Garden Planner. Once again, it is a free trial or, you can use it at any time but not save anything until you pay. I noticed something about it in their catalog.

If someone has come across something more useful, please let us know. I can imagine myself making some use of it. My old drawings on graph paper haven't been updated in a decade :rolleyes:!

Steve

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sorry- I gather a lot of seeds, start a bunch of transplants, stop in one too many greenhouses...dig a whole lot of holes, and then through some kind of gardening magic... it all works out, and I have a beautiful garden!
I do plan on making a plan. I really do. I usually jot a few things down on paper. All in all, I am a seat of the pants, kind of gardener. If there is any room left, I plant more stuff!
If you guys come up with a great way to plan, I'll give it a try...but in the end I'll probably rely on the "old garden magic!"

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lesa...I'm so like you! With a very small garden (something like 100sq.ft) there doesn't seem much you can do. It's really like one large space. I cram everything I can in to it.

Last spring I had about 7 tomatoes along the back against the fence. In front of them were all these small rows probably about 3' long.

It would be interested to see if a plan would make more efficient use of my space.

Mary

dragonlaurel

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I tried the Mother Earth News Garden Planner and the Gardener's Supply Kitchen Garden Planner. I liked them both.

Latest posts