Soil & Carrots

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the complements and ideas, everyone. I'm a little surprised that no one is mentioning marigolds :).

Chris, I've got carrots that look exactly like those in the Cornell bulletin on nematodes.

Besides all the deformed carrot roots, I pondered for a long time the cause of the near-death of Beefy Boy tomatoes in my garden one year. I had good number of varieties including 3 hybrid beefsteaks: Beefy Boy, Big Beef & Goliath.

There was nothing especially wrong with the Big Beef & Goliath that year. Beefy Boy had an absolutely terrible season! I mean, some of the plants dang near died - I'm not sure if I harvested 1 fruit off a half dozen plants. And yet, here were all these reasonably healthy plants all around them. Turns out that of the 3, Beefy Boy is the one with no nematode resistance.

One thing, I had long thought that nematodes might be something I could see. Like symphylans or root maggots - they would be there when I pulled the roots and looked at them. Not so. Here is a picture from UCDavis of a "Mature Meloidogyne female (on head of pin for size perspective)." (I suppose she is full of eggs and that's why she looks like that :rolleyes:.)

Nope, we aren't going to see something that could crawl 10 to the head of a pin around on plant roots Not without magnification, anyway . . .

There is that and other good reasons to grow carrots in the garden with more sandy soil. And despite all my efforts at soil building, to not grow these season-long carrot varieties in the pea-gravel garden.

It is kind of fun posting pictures of the soil in the very rocky, big veggie garden ;) where I will sometimes grow a few quick-maturing Nantes carrots. Here's a picture of a mutant (or something) pepper from seed in the packet of Thai Hot. Maybe it has some resistance to pests :):

DSC00309.JPG

Steve

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
This year we planted tender sweet carrots in a 4x8 raised bed. They grew really well but did not get a very large circumference
, the length was fine 6,8". We only thinned to about a 2" spacing between plants maybe that had something to do with the lack of girth, I'm not sure. We also planted a marigold in each corner of the box not sure if it helped or not but all the carrots we pulled up so far are straight and smooth. I was thinking of pulling up all the marigold plants and hanging them in the garage to dry this winter. When spring comes we could crush them up and till them into our root crop beds, not sure it would help or not, but certainly couldn't hurt. Like your rock garden pics steve reminds me of my dads gardens after he moved to the valley.

fireweed

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Our garden soil is sandy and well manured but with potato sized cobblestones throughout.
We usually get a good crop of carrots in there and this year looks good too.
I always save used coffee grounds and put a good bunch into the seed rows before I put the seed in,
It stops carrot worms totally.
I also plant marigolds between the rows.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
. . . It stops carrot worms totally. . . .
Oh, no!

Something else to worry about!

digitS'

Collector, I haven't a clue how to grow carrots in the soil down in your neck of the woods
stickman_question_lg_clr-1.gif
!

Latest posts