Soil testing

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
vfem said:
You know I feel like such a dope. I spent the last few weeks doing soil sample research. I found out I could send my soil samples in for free to NC State so I'm getting those ready to go.

Just because I jumped the gun, I did a quick soil sampling with the burpee kits (HA!) and the only thing I took to heart was the PH of my soil was high... well over 8.0. So added an acidifier to the soil (I had some for the hydrengeas) at the rate given on the bag. I went through that bag pretty quickly! I added just enough to bring it down to about 7, just enough for 1 unit.

My big thing is I'm shocked! Everyone I talked to at the nursery and my own neighbor insist we have very acidic soil and they are forever going on about 'LIME"! I chose to ignore their advice and do my own research. When I brought it to their attention how alkaline our soil really was... my neighbor waved me off and added more lime to his garden as he insists on doing every year.

So his garden seems to do fine (with some exceptions I go over there and evaluate to help him out occasionally). What kinds of issues actually occur from having soil too alkaline or too acidic? Are these noticeable issues, or problems that are minor and may go unnoticed?! :hu
we went down to the cooperative extension office and picked up some kits the young lady informed us that it's going to take around 9-11 weeks to get the results.
guess we will hold off till this fall to do it. the garden did great last year anyway.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cat, just make sure you do the tests at the same every year. Before making any major changes, get at least 2 years of tests. Don't change anything based on one test UNLESS you see problems. IF you see the problems, the plant is telling you what is short or toxic.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
the young lady down there said to test in the fall so if you do need to change anything it will have ample time to adjust over the winter..

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
majorcatfish said:
vfem said:
You know I feel like such a dope. I spent the last few weeks doing soil sample research. I found out I could send my soil samples in for free to NC State so I'm getting those ready to go.

Just because I jumped the gun, I did a quick soil sampling with the burpee kits (HA!) and the only thing I took to heart was the PH of my soil was high... well over 8.0. So added an acidifier to the soil (I had some for the hydrengeas) at the rate given on the bag. I went through that bag pretty quickly! I added just enough to bring it down to about 7, just enough for 1 unit.

My big thing is I'm shocked! Everyone I talked to at the nursery and my own neighbor insist we have very acidic soil and they are forever going on about 'LIME"! I chose to ignore their advice and do my own research. When I brought it to their attention how alkaline our soil really was... my neighbor waved me off and added more lime to his garden as he insists on doing every year.

So his garden seems to do fine (with some exceptions I go over there and evaluate to help him out occasionally). What kinds of issues actually occur from having soil too alkaline or too acidic? Are these noticeable issues, or problems that are minor and may go unnoticed?! :hu
we went down to the cooperative extension office and picked up some kits the young lady informed us that it's going to take around 9-11 weeks to get the results.
guess we will hold off till this fall to do it. the garden did great last year anyway.
Yeah, that is great to know! So I'm glad I did the easy sample kit to give me an idea for now.

Since the bag said 4 weeks for amendments to work, I'm happy the beds I treated probably won't be planted until May (Maybe a few spots in mid April). I will wait then, and try again in like August or September to plan for 2014. I knew they'd be back up in the spring... but wow... 11 weeks huh?! hahahaha

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
When I got home from work last night my daughter called and said she didn't have any hot water. The water ran, but was cold. So, daddy went and bought her a new water heater last night. I put it in this morning then went to work on the other house I'm remodeling. Needless to say, I'm tired, but will answer a few things. I'll continue the discussion about the soil, probably with base saturation and pH tomorrow.

majorcatfish said:
monty you even think about contacting the learning channel? you would be good on there.
Sorry, I'm not that good. I have some teaching and public speaking experience, but only about things I am highly trained in.

marshallsmyth said:
I am seeing that there are a lot of subtopics that can be discussed and explained about soils! Once we get the main overview, why don't we start on the subtopics.
There are thousands of subtopics. Perhaps after the basics, we can get into micro-nutrients next, then just go from there.

baymule said:
Monty, you are so sexy when you talk "dirt" :lol: :gig :lol: :gig :lol: :gig :lol:
Now that's funny! DW loves it when I'm dirty. It means I've been working :/

Durgan said:
From where I sit, soil testing in a backyard garden, a few square feet at the most, is a total waste of time.
So most gardens are a few square feet at most? Hmmm, I wonder how anyone grows anything on three square feet? Personally, my garden varies from 3800 to 10,000 square feet depending on what I'm growing. So, your garden is heavy clay, good for you. You probably don't even know what a blessing that is for you. Then again, you probably don't even know the pH of your soil. Lucky for you that you have that clay.

seedcorn said:
To answer nutrient uptake vs. pH

Sorry just saw what it was. Charts were correct but for those growing weed. I'll find charts on another site. Sorry

http://www.extension.org/pages/9875/soil-ph-and-nutrient-availability

Better, sorry
Don't be sorry. Weed has different requirements, but you can learn a heck of a lot about hydroponics, lighting, and soil from the people that grow the cash crop. Those people are growing for a living, literally. They are into it way more than I am!

For those looking for a soil test, choose wisely. County extension agents can do them (through the University) for free or a small fee, but you rarely get all the information you need. Professional labs charge a slightly higher price, but are usually faster and give you everything you want. I use A&L Labs Eastern. They have labs all across the country and in Canada (I believe). Choose the one closest to you for the best results. I don't work for A&L, nor do I have any affiliation with them. They always treat me good and have a great turn-around and will email the results to you as well as send a hard copy in the mail. I can't vouch for all of A&L's labs, but the one I use is willing to answer the phone and let you speak directly with the person who did the test. I have found them to be extremely smart people.

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Not taking the fun out, just adding an entirely new dimension.

Latest posts