Solar Storm Bullseye on Earth

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Marshallsmyth, bah, rain! What works for you is NOT what works for me. :rant We had a Friday of rain and ended up with glare ice coating all the roads, sidewalks, and driveways...again!

On the plus side, it did a lot to melt our layer of snow cover. There are places in the fields where earth is showing through, but all the pristine snow is sloppy and grey. :(

Tomorrow should be partly sunny and 38 degrees (F) so more snow should melt. Much is going into the ground as the early snow cover kept the ground from freezing very deeply despite our deep cold temperatures of the past two weeks.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
If we don't get a lot of rain soon, here is what happens:

The upper forks of the Eel River go dry. No salmon run.

Followed by Lake Pillsbury going dry, and the middle sections of the Eel River and upper sections of the Russian River going dry. No Salmon run for the Russian River.

About simultaneously as that, Lake Mendocino goes dry. Shipments of tank trucks of water become necessary for the Town of Ukiah, 15,000 plus people.

Lake Sonoma, the much larger reservoir to the south then rations tightly water for the one million people who drink its water. It would release zero water to flow past Wohler Bridge along the lower Russian, and could perhaps supply the half a million people of its shortened supply run on stict rations for nearly 2 years.

Hetch Hetchy water would be tapped as emergency water to Sonoma county. I don't know details of how that system works.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Is this your boat Marshall?
lark boat.jpg

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's a mighty small view to be able to know for sure, but looks like it, except My Boat Has No Side Fins like this one.

That looks like some kind of a Lark though! I understand they made some prototype models.

There was also a larger version supposedly light seas worthy with a small cabin. The larger version one had a different name.

Lol, that particular boat must have several things going on:

The original outboard motor was supposedly 30 horsepower, and much heavier.

It has a built in ballast that is on base, along the mid line, from behind the seat to the rear. This photo must have that ballast half full. The weight of it goes to the rear.

The front bow area has room for manually placed ballast. This photo is obviously of a boat with no such ballast!

Windshield is small, but I can't see it here.

=====

I WOULD NEVER USE MY BOAT THIS WAY!

I keep the built in ballast empty or full.
I have a lightweight 10 hp Johnson outboard.
(Plenty fast for me).
I usually Keep 3 five gallon jugs of water in the bow compartment for front ballast.

=====

I have the original trailer! The trailer even has a model name, the Pelican trailer. My boat has original painted flames over the bow compartment.

:frow

Can you imagine having a 1957 Chevy station wagon towing a 1957 Lark on a 1957 Lark Pelican trailer? Now that would be known as CRUISING!

:frow

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
A girl in a boat like this is "OFFICIALLY" called a "BOATBABE".

(When I moved up here I invented that term. It seems to have stuck locally).

:old Happy to say, not a single person has ever thought of that as a male chauvinist term :old

It is a high compliment.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was working a wedding yesterday and it was raining so hard that I had to turn up the mics - the pounding on the roof was like thunder.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Marshall, I often drive past a Studebaker Lark station wagon

Wikipedia says they were made from 1959 into the early '60's so it misses your vintage year . . . but, I had a friend in high school with a '57 Chev station wagon. You're right, you'd look good in that!

Still, I think you'd better rescue that Lark station wagon. It looks like it's in real good shape - restored at some time - but it is just sitting outdoors!

Steve

Latest posts