Some nasturtiums?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I would like to try some this year. I think they are Perennial here though? Does anyone have some in some mixed colors? I would prefer Red/Orange/Yellow?

I can trade if you'd like something I have?

insiderart

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have never grown nasturtiums successfully. I must not be holding my mouth right.

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I grow them here and they are annuals.
There are some types that can be grown as perennials but I thought they were in zones 9-10.
You could probably look up which types may be grown in your zone as a perennial.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
You can find very cheap packages of nasturtiums at your local Family Dollar or Dollar General this time of year in the colors you want. They are annual and they are easy to grow.

dust bunny

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
we had some when we first moved to our current home, very peppery and good but they went away :( i don't know why, we have a very mild climate here, they must have been annuals

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I will definitely look while I'm in town.

Someone told me they've seen perennial versions, I thought maybe you guys would know... but annuals are fine. I will try to find some for us, I bet my daughter would love this, and its definitely a way to add fun to the food around here.

Peppery is good... I like spice!

Will check out the local nursery today actually!!! All there seed packets are 50% off this March. :D Good thought!

GardeNerd

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Tropaeolum majus is the genus and species of the commonly grown nasturtium you find in seed packets. I love it, and have it all over the place. It reseeds easily and comes back each winter here in zone 9b/ 10a. Some varieties are long vines and some are small and bushy. My favorites are Cherry Rose, Moonlight (a long vine,) and Creamsicle. Many of mine have crossed over the years so I have many others colors now.

There are many others nasturtiums in the genus that are perennial. Here are some:

Tropaeolum tricolor Bolivian Nasturtium
Tropaeolum speciosum Flame Creeper, Flame Nasturtium
Tropaeolum ciliatum Climbing Nasturtium
Tropaeolum tuberosum
Tropaeolum hookerianum
Tropaeolum incisum

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Are the perennial genus of the plant also edible?

GardeNerd

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Tropaeolum tuberosum is listed as "all parts are edible." But I would recommend doing a little more research if anyone was going to eat any of perennial ones. None were listed as poisonous.

I do eat my annual Tropaeolum majus nasturtium flowers and the chickens eat the leaves.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Vfem, if you buy the annual seeds, you will never have to buy them again. The seeds are really easy to collect and save, as they are big and easy to locate. You will really enjoy these!

Latest posts