Something is eating my beans!

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:hit It looks kind of like a ladybug. I picked a couple off last night, but they've eaten several plants! I didn't have a one pest last year - what can I use on the plants?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I thought lady bugs went after aphids on plants?! Didn't know they ate the plants at all.

I'm trying to tackle the fact that sluggs are getting my peas and basil now! ARGH! I'm putting out coffee grounds today I've been collecting for those.

I saw a recipe for a vinegar mix all natural pesticide I can look up... but if you don't care if its organic or not, there are many to chose from at any nursery or hardware store. I suggest getting the premixed versions... mixing your own can be VERY tricky!

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I was reading about Sevin - well, this is what I've found:

It is touted as fairly safe for humans, but lethal for insect life -- that means
butterflies
lady bugs
beneficial mites that eat the bad ones
praying mantids
the wild bees of which there are scores of varieties
as well as honey bees.

:/ Who uses what for pest control?! I don't want to kill honey bees! :hit

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I wonder if it's Mexican bean beetles? Look a lot like a ladybug, but more spots. Look for eggs on the underside of the leaves. (Seems like every pest lays eggs on the underside of leaves)

RedClayGardener

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I had Mexican bean beetles last year. Look on the undersides of the leaves for orange eggs in groups, then squish them. The beetles didn't affect the actual bean pods so I wasn't too hard on them.

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
bid said:
I wonder if it's Mexican bean beetles? Look a lot like a ladybug, but more spots. Look for eggs on the underside of the leaves. (Seems like every pest lays eggs on the underside of leaves)
Yes, that's what they looked like! I didn't see eggs, but then again I didn't look - my beans are maybe 3 inches high with 2 - 3 leaves. They've totally eaten 4 - 5 plants down to the soil!

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well if you don't want to use insecticides (and I don't blame you) handpicking is about the only way I know of. Perhaps a small herd of children you could pay a penny apiece per bug. ;) I hope you get them under control.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
While the plants are so small, why not cover them with mesh netting once you make sure there are no eggs on the leaves?! They have a better chance at survival when they get much larger.

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I may try the mesh. I've hardly had time to glance at the garden (building a new chicken coop, just got finished with the tractor for the meaties after working on that for three nights until dark, and incredibly busy at work!) but I'm going home tonight and have a good look at the stinkin' bugs! :barnie

I'm so stressed! :th

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you use Sevin, to reduce the danger to honeybees, spray at dusk. The Sevin breaks down rather quickly.

Note I said reduce, not eliminate.

I suggest other methods, such as hand-picking, using companion plants, or planting enough for everyone, where possible. For heavy infestations sometimes insecticides work best.

Latest posts