source for butter bean seeds?

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
my FIL mentioned those to me last season. he was hoping i could grow them for him but i couldn't figure out what they were. he kept saying they were like a lima bean. i kept finding the soy beans and thinking that might be what he was talking about but he said 'no' every time i tried to show him what the soy bean ones looked like. i guess i won't be able to find out for sure since he passed away in November.

cmclean

Sprout
Reaction score
wsmoak- Hi, I live in Pasadena, Texas and also LOVE butter beans!! I grew up eating what my grandparents grew. They were called Speckled Butter Beans. I have seen the seeds in bulk at our local feed store. There are many people from "up North" who call other beans "butter beans." They are NOT what I grew up eating. A green lima is NOT a speckled butter bean. Good luck with your search. I have been very disappointed by labels that read "purple hull" peas, too!!
:)

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
my FIL had an uncle from down south that had given his family some seeds many years ago and he used to remember eating them as a kid into his young adulthood. he kept saying they don't sell them anymore here in the north! so i am not surprised that it seems to only be a southern thing now.

Latest posts