Southern California?

desertwillow

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I'm in that high desert area where I've been told nothing grows....well, that is debatable. It's zone 8b and anything will grow with adequate water, ammended soil and will tolerate cold winters, hot summers and dry winds. We'll have beautiul wildflowers this spring as we've had lots of rain. I have roses, bearded iris, succulents, cactus, russian sage, butterfly bush, pine trees, eucalyptus, desert willow, CA white oak, and any more. We grow all kinds of veggies. Last year my tomatoes were fantastic. We grow peas, beans, zucchini, squash, onions and peppers. Our property still has a lot of native plants such as indigo and creosote bush. Oh! we also have an apricot, plum and peach tree and grapes.

cknmom

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Up in the mountains above Frazier Park. That's between LA and Bakersfield right off the grapevine. I lived in Ventura county (cam., ox., hueneme), on and off for about 37 yrs!!! DH lived in Santa Paula, ojai, Hueneme, Ventura, for 40 yrs!! We still have family in Santa Paula, Ventura and Somis, so we are there quite often. DH works for a company in Santa Paula ( well, when construction is actually doing something), we also vistit friends there often.

Monica

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm on Otay Mesa in South San Diego. I'm close enough to the ocean to get frequent night time and early morning fogs. Otay Mesa used to be nothing but vegetable farms not too long ago. My son and I used to hunt rabbits about where my house is now.
This is probably the easiest area in the US to have a vegetable garden.

desertwillow

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
hoodat said:
I'm on Otay Mesa in South San Diego. I'm close enough to the ocean to get frequent night time and early morning fogs. Otay Mesa used to be nothing but vegetable farms not too long ago. My son and I used to hunt rabbits about where my house is now.
This is probably the easiest area in the US to have a vegetable garden.
Good for you! I'm with you, gardening keeps you young. I'm 70 and my children don't see how I do what I do. I also garden but I do it in the high desert.

Latest posts