Southern California?

Suess

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I am just outside Pasadena. I have my own little oasis up here at the foothills. I want more stuff in my garden and to keep it as year round as possible. Any ideas? please let me know!
Anyone else around me?

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Not around you anymore.

Again, welcome to the forum. Currently living in Northern California but we still have land with tons of fruit trees in Southern California. I was born and raised in Central California Coast (San Luis Obispo County) and spent my teenage years in Orange County.

We've grown everything growing up and where you are I'm sure you have a good growing season. I think you would tend to have some light fog and some cooler weather, right?

Everything grows in So Cal! Well except like lettuces and brassicas in the summer. But fall crops are great!

Good luck!

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
As OaklandCityFarmer said, not anymore, but I was born and raised in S. California.

You should have some really nice growing conditions where you are. Are you fairly close to the Huntington Botanical Gardens?

Welcome! :happy_flower

Backyard Buddies

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Welcome to the group, Suess! I'm in So. Cal - in OC pretty close to the ocean. Like Oakland said, we can grow pretty much anything except for lettuce in the summer. I've even grown tomatoes into February!

Tutter - I love the Huntington Library and Gardens. Amazing place! It has been a while since I've been there. That'd make a nice activity this summer!

Suess

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I grew up just a few blocks from the Huntington. Now I am closer to the mountains than there. I have one lettuce growing...in my chicken run, where the artificial shade takes over about 10:30. I can't say that is worth eating...it is more of a thick stem with a mini romaine lettuce head on it. The chickens don't like it, they trample it.
I have family in northern California so I am constantly up and down this state it seems.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I wish something would grow in the chickens run here. They don't let anything sprout. We fenced an area off to grow them "chicken greens" and we alternate an area for that.

I know how you feel with the traveling back and forth. We have property and family in So Cal so it's a constant trip back and forth!

Suess

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have seen you here and at BYC, where in Oakland could you be? I lived on the border of Berkley, four blocks from the Rockridge station. I know there are great areas of Oakland, but I am just imagining chickens and a garden in the places I have personally seen there :idunno...not really fitting in my mind.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Suess said:
I have seen you here and at BYC, where in Oakland could you be? I lived on the border of Berkley, four blocks from the Rockridge station. I know there are great areas of Oakland, but I am just imagining chickens and a garden in the places I have personally seen there :idunno...not really fitting in my mind.
Hahaha. Very true. I actually live in East Oakland, near the Eastmont Transit Center close to Coliseum BART. We actually got really lucky in the sense that our place has a nice yard and is on a very clean, safe and quiet street. We live across from a school. We are surrounded by duplexes, multi-story apartment units and single-family homes so it is very crowded. But that's city living! We live here because of the work I do and we have property in So Cal and we're looking to buy in Northern California too. A small plot of land that we could live off of.

Although Oakland is a major urban center with high crime, traffic and pollution it has a sense of community that I've found no other place I've lived. (Seriously, I've lived in a lot of places.) It has a sense of pride and ownership over the community and those members of it.

TanksHill

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hello all. Just jumped on this forum, came from BYC and SS forums. Love all this great info. My family lives in No County San Diego and I allways have a ton of questions. So I will be around. Thanks in advance. gina

Latest posts