sowing zinnias and marigolds

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
My DW sows her zinnia seeds directly into her outdoor pots around the first of May. they seem to grow great that way.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You know what, I have the dumbest luck with things! :rolleyes:

Seriously, I can grow grapes from cuttings... but I can't plant a marigold and have it come up!? How weird is that?!

Anyways, I just planted 10 bell peppers, 10 thai chilies, 32 tomatoes and 8 Zinnias on my heat mat tray. We'll see how they do!?

Already ran to HomeDepot once today for a tray... thinking about going back now and buying a second one. Those sure filled up QUICK!

(I do have small trays and 10 jiffy pots left, but I easily have 50 more I would like to start inside on a heat mat this week.)

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Some plants thrive on abuse and neglect! Marigold definitely don't like fuss and like to get a little dryer now and then. Don't over water. Try buynig a heated seed mat for under your tray.

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The marigolds I am so over. They just don't wanna grow. The zinnias did come up after I resowed. But the problem with just sowing direct is that my ground is covered with mulch. Like a lot of mulch. so I cant direct seed.

chills

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
these are 2 of my favorite annuals. i put some seeds in my cold-frame and i think i started to early, i got nothing. my planting guide says marigolds can be planted in the ground in april and zinnias in march. so maybe i started to early, i will try again in about a week. the seeds may have drown with all our rain here. oh and my guide is for zone 9.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Marigolds, Zinnias, Sunflowers, Zucchini, Beans:

They all should start real easy once the ground is warm.
If ya plant them, then it suddenly cools off, lay some plastic over the seed bed, lightly, rocks at corners and edges, maybe a few twigs across the middle.
Just be careful to remove it if it suddenly warms up again.

Remember though, there are some varieties of each of these things that are harder to sprout than other varieties, but most of the above should be good and easy, and give high percentage germination.