sowing zinnias and marigolds

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So how do I do them? I grew some zinnia from seed last year and they grew but it was like Mid-March. I sewed some in my Mini-Greenhouse (unheated) and it has been like three weeks and nothing zilch. Should I resow or just wait till they warm up a bit. (Gosh it has been so nice like it is 60 degrees right now at 10:30, luv the south miss the mountains)

The marigolds. well I have tried to grow them every year since I started gardening with no luck but I do have like 5 little seedlings in my flat of 18. I wonder what I did differently for those five than the rest?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Zinnias and marigolds are warm season plants so you should plant them about the same time you put out your tomatoes and peppers. How deep are you planting them? They should sprout in just a few days when the soils warm. Try just barely covering them with soil and it should be completely possible to sow them in the ground successfully. Good luck with them, they're great flowers! So happy and they bloom all summer :cool:

Ariel301

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
So that's why mine aren't coming up in their trays in my office...it's probably not warm enough for them yet.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I couldn't believe how fast my marigolds came up, using my cold frames. You could practically see them growing!

aussieheelr

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I started mine last year around Mid march. They stayed in a south facing bay window with LOTS of light and good heat... and they took off better than anything I planted from seed last year. :hu don't know how much help I am though, sorry.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ok, I have been holding on to some zinnia seeds and unsure what to do? I suppose I should put the starter trays on a heat mat with my tomatoes & peppers then? Couldn't hurt to try, and the marigolds... good for you guys... I totally FAIL at marigolds and go out and buy TRAYS AND TRAYS of them for the garden instead.

Funny how that works.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I used to take the dry heads and scatter the seed and they came up the next year. Maybe you all are trying too hard! :D (That was in zone 8 tho...)

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
vfem, I can't believe you can't grow marigolds... If I were in your zone, I wouldn't bother starting them early. Just direct seed. Try again- If I can direct seed here, you sure can!

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Marigolds- 8,000-11,000 seeds per oz.

Germination: 3 - 7 days at 75-80F/24-27C soil temp.

Sow indoors in flats or pots April 1st. for mid June blooms. Sow seed about 1/4 in/6 mm deep, cover lightly with coarse vermiculite, or peat-lite mix, rather than soil. For best results use bottom heat (heating cables) and keep moist with tempered water, to maintain soil temp. Transplant into 3 in. pots about 25 days after seeding. Seed may also be sown in rows outdoors June 1st at soil temp. of 60F/16C. Transplant 3 weeks later 8 in./20 cm apart. Low outdoor night temps. of 40F/5C may cause plants to turn purple and slow growth - plants should green up as temps. increase.

Chris

Latest posts