Spanish Basil?

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I know there is a Mexican basil but it's so close to Thai basil (they may even be the same one) that I don't plant it. I just substitute Thai for Mexican basil in recipes. It has a nice cinnamon flavor with a touch of anise. The Southeast Asians add a sprig of it to soup just before serving for the aroma.

GardenGeisha

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thank you so much, hoodat.

Can anyone think of other places I could post my Spanish Flamenco recipe for more potential votes?

I do wish I had put Thai basil in it, instead of just basil.

Clare

GardenGeisha

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Do you think there is a certain type of Basil that would taste best in my recipe (below)?

http://biggestoliveoilcookbookcontest.com/recipe/249

Maybe 'Thai' wouldn't be the best choice? What would be best in this sort of a dish, I wonder?

And can you think of any other garden ingredients that might be tasty in it? I'm trying to perfect it. I wonder whether cilantro would have been a better choice? What would make it the most truly Spanish tasting? Is there a famous Spanish herb of some sort?

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Cilantro is more Mexican than Spanish. There are myriad choices in basil. I'm sure you'll find the right one.

GardenGeisha

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks, hoodat.

Someone in another group suggested it needs a touch of paprika to spice it up and make it more Flamenco-like-- hot, hot, hot?! I think that is a great idea.

Any other suggestions for improving my recipe, anyone?

And if you wouldn't mind voting for it, I would sure appreciate it!:

http://biggestoliveoilcookbookcontest.com/recipe/249

What do you think about adding some arugula to it? I think that would make it more interesting? Is Arugula a Spanish herb?

Latest posts