Speaking of basil

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I've been informed that my basil needs to be pinched back by 1/3 to improve its growth, but nobody has said WHEN to do this. My plants are now about 6 inches tall. Is it too early to pinch them back and how often should I pinch them back? This is the first year I've gotten a decent enough crop of basil to even consider these questions although I've tried to grow it for years.

Rio_Lindo_AZ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The reason they tell you to 'pinch them back' is because when you cut the top part of a basil plant, two branches of basil will grow. Therefore, the plant grows larger. If you do want to pinch them, do it now. Make sure to cut it with a knife or a pair of scissors and always cut it at a small angle. :D

Have fun with your basil!

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Ok, I get it that "pinch" back wasn't intended to be literal. Thanks :th

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Chicken_Boy said:
The reason they tell you to 'pinch them back' is because when you cut the top part of a basil plant, two branches of basil will grow. Therefore, the plant grows larger. If you do want to pinch them, do it now. Make sure to cut it with a knife or a pair of scissors and always cut it at a small angle. :D

Hmmm, I guess have been doing the pinching wrong, as I just use my fingernails. Is their a reason for the angle cut, and having to use scissors/knife?:/

Rio_Lindo_AZ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
bills said:
Chicken_Boy said:

Hmmm, I guess have been doing the pinching wrong, as I just use my fingernails. Is their a reason for the angle cut, and having to use scissors/knife?:/
You are always supposed to cut plants in sharp angles because the stem of the plant will not be harmed. Most of the time, when you cut the plant straight, that piece with dry and take a long time to recover. It will also not grow as quickly. I recamend cutting the stem with scissors or a knife because they're sharp and you will not have to pull on the plant. All you do is cut the stem and the part you cut will fall on the ground. When you cut it with your fingernail, you pinch, pull, and repeat. That will cause a lot of stress to the plant.

Latest posts