spent corn stalks???

TanksHill

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I know this may sound silly but what do you do with corn stalks after the harvest?? This year is my first time growing corn somewhat successfully.

When dry would they be worth saving for next years pole beans?

G

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Corn stalks weaken greatly, I use mine as fall decor on the front porch wrapped with fall colored ribbon. Other then that, I would have no idea?!

hangin'witthepeeps

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My goats and horses love them. I believe my Granny Ruth used to feed to the fall feeder pigs with all the other "spent" vegetation from the garden. Do you have animals or have a neighbor with animals?

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tanks...could you post an ad on craigslist and try to sell or give away. I've always wanted some to place by my front door in the fall.

Mary

TanksHill

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hummmm....

Ok, so if the chickens and turkeys don't eat them it's basically the compost bin or decor??

We live at the top of a hill and I usually don't decorate my porch in fall. No one ever comes up.

Maybe my chickens and turkeys would eat the leaves???

I am the worst composter in the world. :hide

Maybe I can tie them with a fall ribbon and sell them on CL for 5 bucks. Wouldn't that be great?? ha!!

Thanks, g

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Get a shredder, shred them and let them become worm food on your garden over winter. There is very little to no nutrients in the stalk by the time it goes brown. Altho to give it away, you will lose K and P.

Gnome_Czech

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
My pig used to eat them. Since Ham Solo is no longer with us (he went to a galaxy far, far away) I would just compost....or toss to the chicks and ducks for them to play with a little then leave in their yard to break down.

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Hummmm....

Ok, so if the chickens and turkeys don't eat them it's basically the compost bin or decor??

We live at the top of a hill and I usually don't decorate my porch in fall. No one ever comes up.

Maybe my chickens and turkeys would eat the leaves???

I am the worst composter in the world. :hide

Maybe I can tie them with a fall ribbon and sell them on CL for 5 bucks. Wouldn't that be great?? ha!!

Thanks, g
You are laughing...but laugh yourself right to the bank! I bet you could. So many people like to decorate for fall and don't have their own corn stalks. It would totally be worth trying! Let us know how you make out.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tanks..I would post on CL and have a picture of them with a ribbon and perhaps other ways of decorating with a scarecrow or pumpkins on the side. I would list for $1 a piece. I would defintely buy them! I hope your close to a city.

Mary

Latest posts