Spittlebugs

mrcman

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Well, I've got spittlebugs all thru my blueberry bushes. First time ever.

I got a recipe off the web that is 1/2 cup hot pepper, 6 clove of garlic and 2 cup of water. All heavily blended and pureed together, sit for 24 hours and add 2 tsps. of liquid soap.

Does this compound seem affective? Am I spinning my wheels with this mix? We've got fruit mateuring on the bush so I'm cautious about using any chemicals.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Tony

mrcman

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
so lucky,

I hadn't even thought of that. yikes...spicy hot blueberries don't even sound appealing do they?

But, I will let you know. In a week or two we should be picking some.

Tony

mrcman

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Catjac,

We finally got ahold of the Master Gardener at our County Extention office and she told us the same thing. (minus the aphids) So we went out and did just that with the ones I had missed on the first go around.

Thanks Tony

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
What is a spittlebug? If it makes you feel any better, I have mixed up similar concoctions and they work fairly well. And the vegetables did not absorb the ingredients.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
We get lots of spittlebugs also. I have found that the water spray seems effective, because it washes the foam off, but they can really hang tight. The next day you can see them again, all foamed up. Now I squish them. They're pretty small under all that gunk, but easy to kill.

@baymule: .
upload_2014-6-30_20-52-39.jpeg

upload_2014-6-30_20-54-23.jpeg

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Catjac,

We finally got ahold of the Master Gardener at our County Extention office and she told us the same thing. (minus the aphids) So we went out and did just that with the ones I had missed on the first go around.

Thanks Tony
I knew what a master knows? Geesh

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
So the spittle bugs are inside the foamy stuff? I can remember seeing blobs of that stuff as a kid, but haven't seen any in my garden. Can you just squish the foamy stuff?

Latest posts