Spittlebugs

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Some years, there are plenty in the alfalfa fields. Their leafhopper parents can do some real damage. The adults get quite a lot of blame from the ag people for spreading plant diseases.

I'm not sure if the spittlebug can be touched by common contact sprays.

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was just sitting here wondering if, after you washed all the foam off them, if you came back with some kind of spray to get 'em while they're uncovered?

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I used to have spittlebugs in the past but haven't seen them anymore. I didn't know you were supposed to get rid of them. I never noticed any harm done.

Mary

mrcman

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Baymule,
That makes me feel a bit better knowing that the fruit shouldn't absorb the spray. We use these blueberries on a regular basis and depend on a good crop each year.

Thistlebloom,
We did look again last evening before turning in for the night and the foam was back on many of the same spots. I guess squishing them after the washing off the foam is the only way to go.

catjac,
Yes...but from now on I'll call you Master Catjac. <G>

Steve,
The first group that I did was to wipe off the foam and then spray with the hot pepper and garlic solution. Then later we sprayed with water to wash off the foam. Last evening we looked at the bushes again and saw that some of the foam reappeared. Had I been thinking I might should have payed closer attention to where I removed the foam and sprayed and could have compared it to where I just washed the foam off. That would have answered if the spray solution spray was effective or not.

Now I'm done playing with them and am going to remove the foam and start squishing.

Thanks to all that replied to me and helped me out. This site and the people aboard are the best ever.

Thanks Tony

mrcman

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I used to have spittlebugs in the past but haven't seen them anymore. I didn't know you were supposed to get rid of them. I never noticed any harm done.

Mary

Hi Mary,

The Master Gardener lady at the county extention office did say that they shouldn't do any harm to my blueberry bushes. They would be more inclined to harm strawberries and clover and other grasses. It was more a thing of getting them cleaned up and off my blueberries...I guess. Plus when we're under the netting picking in another week the wife would be complaining about the spittle getting on her. It's tough enough putting up with the deer flies and mossquitoes. If you know what I mean. lol

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I do see the spittle here and there, but I have never noticed any problems from them... Yup, deer flies, mosquitos, and spittle- that is just too much!!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was also told that they cause no harm, and so let them be. But the last few years I've noticed deformities in the growth above a spittlebugs attachment. It may not be related to them, but it seems too convenient of a coincidence, so now I squish as many as I can.
Oh, and you can squish them in their foam mrcman. I find it's easier to keep track of where they are if I can see that big ball of... spit.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I was just sitting here wondering if, after you washed all the foam off them, if you came back with some kind of spray to get 'em while they're uncovered?

I've hosed off the spittle with water, then sprayed the bugs with insecticidal soap. They were in the "elbows" of my echinachea and it seemed ...stunted, so i really wanted to give them the death blow! It seemed to work really well.

Latest posts