Split Leafed Philodendron - Moving inside to office

Nifty

Garden Addicted
Administrator
Reaction score
Good point about tomato! With that said, if anything happens to pop out of this plant I'll simply let it do it's natural thing. Plenty of other stuff around the house to eat. :D

Nifty

Garden Addicted
Administrator
Reaction score
The plant is in my office and it looks really nice (even thought I don't have it in a nice pot or basket yet). I'm sure it is happy to not be outside in the cold for once!

One thing I'm noticing is the huge drops of water on the leaves in the morning! I'm assuming it's dew / condensation of some type, but I don't know why it's on the plant leaves vs. windows, etc. I should take a pic... it's surprisingly large drops... almost to the point that I worry the water will damage my laminate floors.

I don't think the water is coming from the leaves, but I'm wondering if it is moisture from the air in general or possibly from the moist soil?

Any ideas?

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Nifty said:
One thing I'm noticing is the huge drops of water on the leaves in the morning! I'm assuming it's dew / condensation of some type, but I don't know why it's on the plant leaves vs. windows, etc. I should take a pic... it's surprisingly large drops... almost to the point that I worry the water will damage my laminate floors.

I don't think the water is coming from the leaves, but I'm wondering if it is moisture from the air in general or possibly from the moist soil?

Any ideas?
Mine did that too, i actually think it was coming from inside the leaves, but wasnt totally sure. I'm trying to remember WHEN it did that...it may have been right after i brought it inside for the winter... Didnt seem to hurt it any, and it eventually stopped.

Nifty

Garden Addicted
Administrator
Reaction score
My little (well relatively little compared to how big these tend to get) Split Leafed Philodendron seems to be VERY happy inside my office. Two new leaves have shot out, you can see one in the middle and one to the left in the picture below.

My daughter noticed that one of the new leaves, in the middle of the pic, was growing straight through the hole of an older leaf above it, so she pulled it out of the hole so it wouldn't be restricted. I'm a little curious what would have happened had it grown like that?

2_split-leaf-philodendron2.jpg

Nifty

Garden Addicted
Administrator
Reaction score
Yay, I've been waiting for the conversion to update this thread with pics (since the new system is SOOO much easier to upload pics to):

I was going to just re-pot the plant, but in the process I felt bad for the tangled roots and decided to just split the plant into two groupings.

Here are the compacted roots:

roots.jpg

Here they are split (don't they look way more happy?) :) :

split-leaf-plants-2.jpg

Unfortunately, I'm getting some yellowing :( How do I know if this is too much water, too little water, or something else entirely?
yellow.jpg

Last edited:

Nifty

Garden Addicted
Administrator
Reaction score
I did a little research and it seems that root disruption can sometimes cause this leaf yellowing. Well, I DEFINITELY did disrupt the roots, so hopefully that's all it was and the plant(s) will be fine.

Nifty

Garden Addicted
Administrator
Reaction score
Today I decided to pull out the dead & dyeing leaves and to my surprise they came out of the soil SUPER easy... almost as though they weren't attached to anything. No roots... nothing holding them into the soil.

So, I'm guessing when I broke the main plants apart to replant them I must have really killed and/or removed the roots for those little guys.

Fortunately the big plants and leaves still look healthy.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's just a bit of what's called "transplant shock", and it does not look to have been much of a shock. The leaves pulled off easily because the plant kind of ripened them in a natural way. Plants make hormones that loosen sets of cells where leaves connect to stems. (Some plants make more of this hormone than others).

Looks like you did some good propagating there.

Nifty

Garden Addicted
Administrator
Reaction score
Very interesting, thanks Marshall!

Latest posts