Split Leafed Philodendron - Moving inside to office

Nifty

Garden Addicted
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm regretting my decision to split the plant up. :(

At first it seemed like just the smaller leaves were turning yellow and dying, but now even the larger leaves are yellowing. I'm not sure if it was excessive root damage during the split / transplant, or too much fertilizer, or something else. What I do know is that the plant isn't growing new leaves and the old ones are dying. :hit

I guess I'll just keep up with it and hope for the best.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Could you break off a leaf or two and start rooting in water - just in case????

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh darn! What kind and how much fertilizer did you give her?

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Any new info on this @Nifty ? In our new house we have one living room that we don't use yet, and since there's literally no furniture in it I thought I'd look at growing something nice and leafy, immediately thought of this plant and this thread popped up on our site :)

Nifty

Garden Addicted
Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks for asking @SprigOfTheLivingDead !

One of them has been outside and the other one in my office. They both were getting worse and worse over time and I seriously worried I had done them in completely.

Well, now that they've been through the summer, the one outside is actually doing really well, but the one in my office is still really struggling :(

Everything else about the two are the same, except the one outside gets more sunlight and more water (from my wife as she waters her other plants). The one in my office gets a bit neglected unfortunately and not any really nice sun.

I have no idea which of those two things is having the biggest impact. I have no basis for this, but I'm guessing it's probably the amount of water?

Here's a pic of the one in my office. I'll need to wait until daytime to take a pic of the one outside. You can see the ends of the leaves are brown and dead, and the new leaves (thank goodness there is some new growth) is really struggling and sometimes just dying. :(

upload_2015-1-6_22-31-58.png

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just noticing the tiny watering can, next to your plant...If that was my plant I would be dumping at least a 1/2 gallon of water in there- and letting it dry out, before watering again. I have a gigantic peace lily in my office. It is about 20 years old. I tried to separate it once. The smaller plants died- luckily the main one lived. I won't do that again. It seems to me some plants prefer crowded roots. Good luck!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nifty, if the pretty one is still thriving outside, can you switch them out about every 3 months or so?
Mine does beautifully outside in the summer, and just barely makes it through the winter inside. They just like the humidity and better light and water outside. You could also try misting the leaves with a spray bottle daily. And lesa is on the right track with the amount of water, I believe.

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
since these are vine plants in their natural habitat I wonder if they would do well in an Air Pot planter instead. Allow for some good airflow and easy soaking of roots.

http://air-pot.com/

Nifty

Garden Addicted
Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks all!

I'm definitely going to be watering it more and will also probably swap it with the one outside.

Here's the sister plant outside. I think all those leaves are new growth since I split up the plant:

upload_2015-1-7_11-6-45.png

Latest posts