Spoiled with grubs

farmettehopeful

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
We finally got the run fencing put up so I began removing the grass from its perimeter to get ready for plants and wow the grubs (never knew we had them until I started gardening this year!) My lil ladies are loving it though, they follow me around the fence and wait for their treats. Strange that they wouldn't take the worm I gave them though...only the white grubs! Must be more tasty I guess :hu

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh yeah. You can find a lot of grubs when you dig up turf. I found a bunch of cutworms in the areas with grass in the garden too when I was working it. The chickens did appreciate what they got. As far as them not eating the redworms, I think it is a lot of what they are used to. It reminds me of one of my stories.

A couple of years ago, I had about fifteen 10 week old chicks ranging. I harvested some sweet corn and collected the ear worms in a cup. When I dumped that cup full of worms in a pile in front of those chicks, they gathered around and watched, but did not rush in. They were really interested and the brave ones would start edging in, but every time a worm wriggled, they would jump back. Finally, after four of five minutes of this, one brave chick nabbed a worm. Within 30 seconds that whole pile was gone.

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
my girls love grubs but put their beaks up to worms the best and safest way to get rid of grubs is to use milky spore it comes in powder and granular I use the powder so my girls wont eat it...it is safe for them to eat the grubs that have eaten the milky spore... I got it at home depot for $25.00...

desertlady

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I have the same problem too ! I must have picked over 50 grubworms and gave them all to my chickies !. They love them. I probably still have more. yeck !:sick

farmettehopeful

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I love to watch the chicks in action when it comes to new things, they are so funny!
Seeing all of the grubs (which I had to look up to identify!) makes me wonder if all of the grass damage isn't really my dogs fault (shame on me for blaming them if it's the grubs)! I will have to see if TSC has the product when I stop in there tomorrow~thanks!

Latest posts