Spotted Cucumber Beetle

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Last year we had a mild Western Spotted Cucumber Beetle Diabrotica undecimpunctata infestation that caused some damage to a lot of our curcubits and other plants. We took care of most of the beetle problem and removed and destroyed any wilted plants that were infected by the bacteria they spread.

We sprayed with a pepper/garlic/onion spray and this seemed to keep them away from a lot of plants. Many others have recommended a few broad spectrum controls but I'd rather stay away from those for obvious problems they could cause to beneficials.

This year...their back. Not in the numbers they were last year but definitely they are back.

So, that you know what we've done, does anyone have any recommendations (organically please) that you have to battle these little critters?

Critter in question:
southerncornrwjb.jpg

Any and all advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Carlos

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We had great luck with giant sunflowers, the years we had these.

I used the sunflowers as a lure. They hung out on the back, often under the layers (You have to look well since they can hide there.), and were easy to pick off. We removed the earwigs at the same time.

(But the latter was partly because of time of day. It was really hot, so we would go down to the garden at night, and found that the earwigs were on the sunflowers at night in even greater numbers than during the day!)

After a couple of years of that, we've not had them back. I expect them each year, but so far, no.....and I'm not complaining!

It sounds like you already made a dent in their numbers. I'd continue doing what you are doing, no matter what else is going on.

Too bad they are pests; I think they are rather pretty.

Good luck, Oakland! :)

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Tutter said:
We had great luck with giant sunflowers, the years we had these.

I used the sunflowers as a lure. They hung out on the back, often under the layers (You have to look well since they can hide there.), and were easy to pick off. We removed the earwigs at the same time.

(But the latter was partly because of time of day. It was really hot, so we would go down to the garden at night, and found that the earwigs were on the sunflowers at night in even greater numbers than during the day!)

After a couple of years of that, we've not had them back. I expect them each year, but so far, no.....and I'm not complaining!

It sounds like you already made a dent in their numbers. I'd continue doing what you are doing, no matter what else is going on.

Too bad they are pests; I think they are rather pretty.

Good luck, Oakland! :)
Yeah I kind of like the look of them myself too!

Well, hopefully the sunflowers start blooming next week like we think they are. Let's see how this works.

Thanks tutter!

Latest posts