Spraying Fruit Trees

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
The wind is usually my problem when it comes to spraying as well. Always seems to be a bit of a blow here. I've often suggested to DH that we install a wind mill as it would always be working.

Have to get out with the sprayer really early in the morning before the sun gets the wind up and running.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I got my fruit trees sprayed this morning with dormant oil, it took 6-1/2 gallons of mix. It was a little windy so I should not have any scale growing on me either, but I got the pear, plum, peach, apple, cherry, apricot trees, plus one pecan tree before I empties the tank. The almond tree is blooming so I skipped it.

My problem right now is that I have big pile of brush, mostly prunings from my fruit and nut trees, in a big pile in the garden, not that far from where I want to plant some of my spring stuff, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, kale, chard, green peas, and potatoes. The ground is prepared but it's going to get really hot when I burn that. We have been under a burn ban for a while and it shows no sign of letting up soon. Normally this time of year it stays wet, but we have had maybe 1/2" of rain in the past three weeks. It's dry and I have neighbor's pastures close by that are filled with dead grass. Those would be out of control really fast if they got started.

It's always something!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I'm cutting waterspouts from my one apple tree today. I'm going to bundle them with baling twine and use them, along with upside down cone type tomato cages (in the middle), to support my peas. I cannot use any tree of paradise cuttings because I'm afraid that they might root themselves! :ep
I guess if the apple cuttings root themselves, they'll be a new project!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
In this months martha stewart there are photos of some great trellises made out of tree trimings.

Oh fun!
Last Mothers Day one of my neighbors came over and we sat on the lawn and made trellis's (sp?) out of our wild willow thicket prunings and pine saplings we cut off at ground level.
It was fun making the trellis's but even more fun to be able to get to know each other a little better.

Latest posts