Spraying Fruit Trees

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just watched several videos on youtube about spraying dormant oil. All the trees used where about 6 feet with a few branches, was stated the whole tree needs to be sprayed. Was also stated the sprayers that attach to end of hose are not good for dormant oil. How do completely spray a large tree? What kind of sprayer to use? Last year I purchase a cheap pump sprayer, and couldn't figure out how to assemble.

Circle-M-Farm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Most of the orchards and people around here prune heavy and never let there trees get much over 6-8 ft. and the middle of the trees are very open to allow for maximum light and air movement plus its easier at harvest time. If left to grow "wild" these trees would be 10-12 ft. tall or better.
You might look into pruning the trees, it will make life a lot easer.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
A pump sprayer isn't going to be able to get high enough to cover a tall tree.
And don't waste your money on a cheap pump sprayer because you'll just want to throw yourself in front of a train from the frustration of it all.
For anything you need a pump sprayer for treat yourself to a good quality backpack sprayer. They will last a very long time. Just clean it out after you're done and don't store anything in it.

As to not using hose end sprayers for dormant oil I do it all the time. It makes a mess of them, but I just keep one dedicated to oil. Look for a Chapin, or
something similar to this.
41laXt823IL._AA160_.jpg

Those junky ones they sell at Big Box are useless for anything serious. You can't get enough pressure to reach anything.

You can also check with your extension office. Around here you can rent the tow behind ones that can reach the top of the tallest tree you own. Actually I think they lend them rather than rent them.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks guys while most of the trees are dwarf, I have 6 crabapple trees which I planted over 10 years ago that are large now. Sometimes I wonder about the sanity of having a orchard, when across the street is a Christmas tree farm. The crabapples do get Apple ceder rust.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I use one of those cheap sprayers, but keep different ones for different products and clean them out really well after each use. And I try to prune my trees so I can reach them. I'm hoping to spray dormant oil today. My problem with spraying dormant oil or anything else is finding the weather to do it. During the time I should be spraying it can rain often, but the wind is the real problem. It's pretty constant. Today's forecast is no more than 10 or so MPH which is likely the best I'll see before the trees bud out.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just watched several videos on youtube about spraying dormant oil. All the trees used where about 6 feet with a few branches, was stated the whole tree needs to be sprayed. Was also stated the sprayers that attach to end of hose are not good for dormant oil. How do completely spray a large tree? What kind of sprayer to use? Last year I purchase a cheap pump sprayer, and couldn't figure out how to assemble.
The cheap sprayers spray pretty high. I hope you invested in dwarf trees. Even full sized trees can be kept short. Pruning is one of the most important things for your trees. Lots of websites will show you how.

Latest posts