Spring Daffodils

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I saw these cuties on my sunny walk today! The flowers are starting to bloom here right now! I saw the magnolia trees starting to bloom downtown. I love those trees. Some people call those tulip trees. I'm not sure which is correct.

Attachments

• IMG_20230327_124449420_640x480.jpg
    IMG_20230327_124449420_640x480.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 49

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
And, Welcome Spring!

Magnolia, with a few different suffixes, is the scientific name for those trees :).

Our daffodils have been multiplying in recent years. They look to be ready for a strong start in 2023.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Be sure to look for the different varieties and, if you can, buy daffodils that bloom early Spring, mid Spring, and late Spring.
NOT recommending this place bc they are pricey, but this is a variety primer, of sorts.
Both sites are infomative. I'm pretty sure that deer won't eat them.

HoleySmokes

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Right now is prime time to write down what you are seeing blooming or budding out and when. Some things are less obvious like walnut tree blooms. You will appreciate this in the future.

Honeybees looking for protein?
Pine tree pollen?
Dandelions?
Forsynthias?
?
?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've been wondering about the weather and growing conditions for Alabama gardeners, @Dirtmechanic .

@Artichoke Lover hasn't posted in about 2 months and @Cosmo spring garden hasn't in nearly a month, a simple search tells us. The national news suggests that the storms have been severe. Perhaps the daffodils and tulip magnolias were not around long and providing inspiration.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
if anyone is within driving distance and wants to get free for the digging daffodils you're welcome to come visit and harvest. we have thousands of them and some clumps i need to remove.

as it is i'll be doing some thinning out this spring because i only want a few of each variety in one spot and i don't want them to completely block the light to the creeping thyme.

at one time i was daydreaming of taking some of these extra daffodils and going along the road from our corner and planting them along the ditch edge where the mowers might not take them out. just put a clump every 10 feet or so for a quarter mile... nope. i ran out of energy every year and it has remained a daydream.

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I've been wondering about the weather and growing conditions for Alabama gardeners, @Dirtmechanic .

@Artichoke Lover hasn't posted in about 2 months and @Cosmo spring garden hasn't in nearly a month, a simple search tells us. The national news suggests that the storms have been severe. Perhaps the daffodils and tulip magnolias were not around long and providing inspiration.

Steve
It was very warm and snapped off to the lower 20s in early spring. That nipped most of the buds. Even the roses are just now coming out.

Last edited:

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score

Steve
We had some severe weather here with few tornado warnings bit thankfully no real tornadoes. Sadly some people further away from us did .
We have had few hard frosts which killed all the buds on our peach, plum and blueberries. Also the new growth on mulberries was damaged. Weather has warmed up again and I hope it is here to stay! I'll post more soon.