Spring frost!

RedClayGardener

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hello, I just checked the weather for my area of North Carolina and they are predicitng a freeze for Tuesday night. It will be 31 degrees at the lowest point of the night. What should I cover?
I have several varieties of wildflowers just starting to sprout in the garden.
A few established day and asiatic lillies that are pretty big but without buds..
Bulbs that are sprouting.
And some vines/shubs that are leafing out.

Should I cover, panic or should I just calm down because it's not going to kill them.

Sorry for all the details, my flower garden was such a disaster last year, I really want it to make it this year.

Thanks!

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Probably just throwing a loose mulch on top of the stuff you are most worried about would be easiest. A light frost won't penetrate into the soil (or mulch) very far.

I'd be worried about anything that is sprouting, although I would think cool season crops or cold hardy flowers would probably manage, though be set-back.

Personally I don't fret over the shrubs and more perennial stuff, especially if they are well-established. If there is something in particular you can't bare to see damaged, or that is a new planting, then I'd try to protect that.

My opinion is also if they say "31" it could always get colder, so I'd take it as a warning to prepare for worse.

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Also, don't worry about spring bulbs. I'd worry more about the lillies. Not sure if they are too tall to be protected by mulch at this point, but I'd do something for them, even if just set a few jugs of water next to them.

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I wouldn't panic. The "official" temperatures can vary quite a bit from the temperatures at your location, depending on how far you are from the weather reporting station, micro-climates, etc. 31 isn't going to be a killing frost, at least thats what I am telling myself :fl.
Unless the forecast changes for the worse, I don't intend to cover anything.
Good luck to all of us with the freeze coming teusday night.

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well, I would agree with you, bid, because that sort of attitude can save your sanity, but I think "better safe than sorry" pays dividends. Especially if it is the last freeze and you know there are some vulnerable plants that you won't be re-planting . . . why start the season with a heavy loss? If you prepare, you are guaranteed the frost won't be bad, but if you brush it off, you are inviting trouble, IM (very scientific) O. :lol: Now if it is the first frost at the end of summer, that is another story.

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
if you are worried about the lillies and wildflowers I'd throw a sheet or row cover over them...mostly everything else sounds safe enough... spring bulbs are hardy as are shrubs...I'd worry more about any early plantings of summer veggies...

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh I agree with "better safe than sorry". Your suggestion of throwing some loose mulch on top is spot on. My post was more about saving your sanity. While I have the utmost respect (ok, more of how correct have you been lately) for meteorologists, Mother Nature does as she pleases. I will wait for the forecast Monday night. Our weather fluctuates so wildly that we can have all 4 seasons in the space of a week sometimes, and have only a month or so ago. From:celebrate to :he to :rant to :th and back to :ya

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've learned to take the forecasts with a grain of salt. Even the ones that are just the evening before. Too many times I have woken in the middle of the night to weather much colder than they predicted and run outside to do something for the plants. Definitely not good for one's sanity. :p

Right now my weather is pretty much straight up :he Be glad you are at least getting a taste of the good stuff! ie: :weee

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I think you are northern NC? I'm a little south and west of Raleigh, and the lowest temp I see reported for Tuesday is 39. If I were you I would wait until Sunday or Monday to make a formal decision on what to do.

Honestly, If you try to keep up with a 10 day forecast (or a 3 day forecast) in NC, you are in for disappointment. I've seen a forecast for partly cloudy for a tuesday on monday, and then tuesday comes and it 5 degrees warmer and down pouring all day?! We're in a weird location in this state, and our weather is just as crazy to boot!

Just give yourself until the end of the weekend and recheck then. An unexpected 'warm' front could roll it twice over.

Just keep a sheet or 2 handy. :coolsun

RedClayGardener

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice! I will keep some sheets handy but hopefully I will not have to use them. Since I am a new gardener sometimes I misjudge what plants can take. Like I think I may have deep fried some of my pepper seedlings by putting them in the sun too early. Oh well, live and learn!

Latest posts