sprout your own

country lady

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I sprout mung beans for the ladies. If we are having stir fry, I toss in a few. I haven't used bleach but I may after reading the posts. I also use a lot of old remedies like bleach, vinegar, and baking soda. I give my ladies buttermilk soaked bread in the winter as well as vitamins or vinegar in their water. I may be just lucky but I haven't had any problems with them and they are 2 1/2 years old. I also wipe their roost off several times a year with kerosene--maybe bleach would be better. They have a movable coop.

RDRANCH

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
HiDelight said:
I soak the beans or seeds then put them drained in a quart mason wide mouth jar with a screen cut the size of the ring lid on top

I do not worry about the bacteria because I am not immune compromised, a small child ...elderly (yet) or pregnant

have fun sesame seed sprouts are really good!
Do you have a certain method for sprouting sesame seeds. My first attempt they went sour and had to thrown out. I tried flax once and it developed a slimy coating that would clog the screen.

Any tips?:idunno

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Certain things can't be sprouted in a jar with a screen lid. As you learned, flax is one. Cress and chia also have the slime.

That is why chia seeds are smeared on a piece of pottery that is kept wet (those stupid chia heads).

"Sprouting Instructions

Chia seeds cannot be sprouted using conventional tray or jar sprouters, and must be dry sprouted. There are two different approaches to dry sprouting Chia, but we recommend the terra cotta dish approach:

Our preferred method:

* Sprinkle a thin layer of Chia Seed on the bottom of a terra cotta dish or plate.
* Set the terra cotta dish in a larger plate of water.
* Cover with another plate.
* Small amounts of water permeate the terra cotta plate upon which the chia seeds sit, and provide exactly the right amount of water to sprout them.
* On the second day, lightly mist the seeds.
* Harvest on the third day.
* It takes about 2 or 3 days to get healthy Chia sprouts.

An alternate method:

* Lay a nylon or linen cloth on a plate.
* Spray a fine mist of water onto the cloth.
* Sprinkle 1 layer Chia Seed on top of the bag. Mist it lightly.
* Cover with another plate, misting lightly once per day.
* You will have Chia sprouts in about 2 to 3 days."
http://www.wheatgrasskits.com/sprouting/chia_sprouting_seed.htm

I tried sprouting cress the usual way and it was a mess. After a couple of days I just put it in some potting soil to see what would happen. It grew like crazy :D

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
PS basil seed is just like chia and swells like a frog egg when soaked very good in a drink or with coconut milk as a dessert but to try to sprout ..nope probaby use the good advice in Wife's post ..thanks Wife great info!
this first time I just tossed some chia in garden pots the first time they made a hard cap of slime ..second time did a better job and the greens tasted like a mind minty basil .(same family I know)

if you have never tried doing sprouts this is absolutely the best time to give it a try
..fresh food growing right in your kitchen

can not get any better and I am going to hit the coop on the way home from work this week and get a nice variety started for myself

In all my craziness this year ...I forgot to stock up on some essentials to help fight the blues in the winter

right now along with a few other things I miss

... have no sprout seed stash easy to remedy ..and such inexpensive sourch of wonderful nutrition

mmmm sprouts ...I love really rare roast beef thinly sliced with fresh horse radish and sprouts

ok I am going to do some for sure thanks for the bump! perfect timing I think!!! nice little mental health project!!!

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I use a damp cloth as mentioned in Wifes post for the sesame seeds
sorry I missed that! I just dampen a tea towel sprinkle them on and then let them sprout
eat with tiny sprouts or they can graduate to a jar as above to get a bit more greenery on them

RDRANCH

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks for the info! Here's another tip about sesame seeds. Don't EVER try to grind them in a grain mill. Had to use the air compressor to blow out all the paste. :barnie :)

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Anyone sprouting right now?
I have some mung and china rose radish going now but I am going to do some small crimson lentils and crimson clover tomorrow.
I haven't tried those last two types yet.
I have some alfalfa seeds too I should probably sprout for the hens.
They are probably going crazy for something green this time of year.
The snow has finally melted but the yard is still pretty muddy so maybe they will get some sprouts.

I wonder how else you can use sprouts, I typically do them in salads or sandwiches. I know you can saute them but I haven't yet.
There must be some more uses for sprouts, maybe I'll google that.:)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I am doing a second round of Wife's Cress that she sent me... very peppery... so yummy on salads!!!

I'm doing it in peat pots.... the pots stay moist and it helps get them going fast.

Latest posts