Sprouting issues...

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have planted cabbage, carrots and broccoli. The cabbage and carrots went in at the same time in 3 different beds. I had 2 different cabbages... chinese and your basic heading cabbage. None of my heading cabbage has sprouted, and none of my carrots have sprouted. I planted these the first week of september.

I planted my broccoli in 1 separate bed on monday this week. I notice the broccoli sprouted this morning!

I counted 5 chinese cabbage sprouts randomly... but that isn't even a 1/4 of what I planted. I have row covers over these beds to keep bugs out, and I mulched to keep moisture in. Could these take longer then 2 weeks to germinate, or should I replant?

Andy J

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I would say the cabbage seed is bad.From my experience,cabbage,broccoli,and lettuce sprout in 4 or 5 days.

Carrots,for me,are difficult to sprout.I have the best results by watering the soil thoroughly and laying a board or wet burlap on the soil to keep it moist.After 8 or 10 days,lift the board to see if the seeds have sprouted.I find that the newly sprouted carrots are very fragile and must be kept moist or they will quickly die.

Andy

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Carrots are always a problem. They have to be so shallow they are almost on top but never dry out. I do almost the same as you but I use damp newspaper to keep the soil moist. You have to be sure to check every day. If they sprout and you don't get the cover off they rot. I never plant carrots in a single row. I just rough the soil with an iron rake and broadcast the seed on the roughed soil in a band. You can mix it with fine sand or dry soil so it doesn't get broadcast too thick.

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I had sprouting issues with peas and lettuce. I planted a whole packet and get like five. Which is highly unusual and the lettuce is a whole nother thing. It just seems doesn't to germinate. The carrots I always have a problem problem with. So I have no answers but tons of sympathy!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
STill nothing... I went and replanted the cabbage. I also added some more lettuce. I can't find my bok choy all of a sudden... and I planted 2 packets of carrots and I got NADA! :he

I am watering everyday now... going out to give everything a drenching here soon too. :p

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
V, I decided to look at your weather for the month . . . ow!

High eighties on a cool day; nineties most days!

I think the weather might be pushing past the optimum temperature range especially if your soil gets a lot of direct sun.

Steve

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Don't give up- with those hot temps, they might be taking their time! My carrots always seem to take forever to get going... I had a terrible time with cutworms this year- they loved the carrots and the cabbage. Good luck!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
today is 94 and rising!

Its been like that most days, with nights in the low 60's... so its strange.

funny though, one day, all of a sudden it will be 74 and never got about it! (Weird)

Latest posts