Sprouting Onions

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I planted them in some coffee cans as the ground is frozen. We had -40 temperatures for a bit, and I think that took them down despite my covering them with straw.
If they can come back from -40 and are the annual green onion types, that would be very impressive. We get cold like that here too, and I've never seen green onions come back, though the very hardy perennial clumping types do.

Jane23

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I don't grow onions but from what I have learned through growing garlic Alliums can harbour fungal diseases, some of which can remain in the soil for decades. (My friend lost 90% of her crop of 10 000 garlic this spring, from allium disease). Following a 4-year rotation reduces the chance of a build up of soil borne disease. I also make every effort to completely remove all of the little bits of alliums at harvest time and place them either in the trash or in the green bin, and no allium waste goes in my kitchen compost bucket either.

If the onions did in fact die I cannot see an issue with growing something non-allium in the same container though.
I think it is all too cold. One is completely gone and the other came out of the pot as I moved the straw. I think the roots died.

Jane23

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
So the snow is melting rapidly, which is great, but the big black files are out. I am already think drought even if we did have an early winter this year. I planted some sprouted onions last October in raised beds. Those look a little sad, but they are covered with straw and I think they might make it into the spring.

Do you think they might go? We still will probably get more snow and -40 degree temperatures. I only peaked at them under the straw. It gives me hope.

Last edited:

Jane23

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Beware @Jane23 voles love straw and tubers are a favorite for them. Apparently if you get the straw on after the temps turn to freezing as it seems you have, the voles are much less likely to move in.
I haven't seen evidence of any voles in my garden, though, after one snow, I did see what were probably mouse tracks on top of where I planted the onions. The garden beds are raised, so hopefully, that helps.

Jane23

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
More sprouted onions! the other set died, but that might have been because I planted them in pots right before the temperatures went down to -20. We are set to have a period of warm weather, and I will try getting these into my raised beds. Their cousins seem to be still alive, so they may have a better chance. :D
IMG_0738.jpg

Latest posts