Sprouting Onions

Jane23

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Okay. There is snow on the ground, and we are headed for the negatives next week. This is a problem as a couple of my fall onions have sprouted despite my efforts.

Do you think they would survive if I shipped out holes for them in my garden and covered them with straw?

This is very frustrating as I know I can get more good produce, but the weather will stop me. I cannot find whether those couple of onions will survive if planted. The ground may be too cold for them to go, and they will go straight to moosh if I do. I may try anyways.

Any thoughts?

HoleySmokes

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I've had onions overwinter no problem in the ground that were established. Last year I had planted them in a 6"w x 36"l x 7"deep plastic window planter with potting mix to avoid the weeds and the potting mix froze all the way down and it killed the onions in it. So now I think if the roots freeze all the way down, then the onion is subject to die.

Jane23

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I've had onions overwinter no problem in the ground that were established. Last year I had planted them in a 6"w x 36"l x 7"deep plastic window planter with potting mix to avoid the weeds and the potting mix froze all the way down and it killed the onions in it. So now I think if the roots freeze all the way down, then the onion is subject to die.
That’s what I’m thinking will happen. It’s just too tempting to plant them!

It also will be problematic getting them into the ground as it’s already frozen.

I still might try as the onion will just keep sprouting anyways.

R2elk

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That’s what I’m thinking will happen. It’s just too tempting to plant them!

It also will be problematic getting them into the ground as it’s already frozen.

I still might try as the onion will just keep sprouting anyways.
You can fill a tub such as a plastic dish pan with potting soil and plant them inside.

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Okay. There is snow on the ground, and we are headed for the negatives next week. This is a problem as a couple of my fall onions have sprouted despite my efforts.

Do you think they would survive if I shipped out holes for them in my garden and covered them with straw?

This is very frustrating as I know I can get more good produce, but the weather will stop me. I cannot find whether those couple of onions will survive if planted. The ground may be too cold for them to go, and they will go straight to moosh if I do. I may try anyways.

Any thoughts?
I think there is hope for your onions. Maybe put a sheet of plastic over the area where they are growing. I once put a bucket upside down at night over plants when the weather got cold. They survived!

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I think there is hope for your onions. Maybe put a sheet of plastic over the area where they are growing. I once put a bucket upside down at night over plants when the weather got cold. They survived!
I just read somewhere yesterday that the plastic should not be touching the plants. So it would need some sort of frame.

Latest posts