sprouting tree stumps help!

nightshade

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My orchard, yard, garden area, pretty much our entire cleared lot was until last spring forest. Now all the stumps that I am unable to remove are covered in sprouts. And not just a few they look like darn shrubs. I have tried cutting them off, spraying them with round up and nothing I try seems to work. Is there anything I can put on the stumps to keep them from re sprouting over and over? I am getting tired of spending one day a week cutting off all the nasty little things and they are choking out the plants I want to keep.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yeah, mine have been doing that for 2 years... let me know if you win the battle, I have NO idea! :(

Northernrose

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
You could use straight round-up in undiluted form or the brush killer formula to paint directly on the stumps. If you do that when the stump is fresh it will kill it. You may need to cut back the suckers and paint the stubs and stump with the round up.

aussieheelr

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I've been told to drill holes in the stump and pour the round up in the holes. Do this about once a week and it should killl it in a month at the most.

BlackThumb

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Same situation here. Will the RoundUp leech out into the adjacent tomatoes? Stump is 8 months since being cut. Will I need to freshen the cut or will drill holes work well enough? Advice !!!

davaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
try this:

76.jpg

and this:

axe.jpg

And this:

shovel.jpg

one of these:

chainsaw.jpg

And a good dose of this stuff:

fire.jpg

Round up is nice but it can leave the roots and suckers that might develop later.
Chop em, burn em, and root em out to be rid of them.

nightshade

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
lol I have tried all of those and apparently I did not do a good enough job because I am still have problems and the trees were cut LAST spring. An old guy at the feed store told me to drill a hole in the stumps and fill them with rock salt it will take a while but it will kill them. Heck it has been a year so what is a little longer right?

davaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
An old-fashioned trick was to stick peanut butter or cornbread in and among the roots. Then let the pigs in.
Their incessant rooting for the treats would soon have the trees devoid of soil and mostly dug out. Then you finished the job with pick axe and fire.

A back hoe does a pretty good job, too....

backhoe-loader.jpg

Mattemma

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I have this problem with old and new stumps. I keep cutting the suckers and covering the entire stump with cut grass to heat it up.Hasn't worked yet,so I am thinking of getting a discount (I hope)on having multiple stump ground up.

I notice in some old stumps there are holes and char marks,so the previous owners tried to kill them.Found stump removal cyrstals in the garage too.

Next time I get a tree cut the stumps are getting ground up.

Latest posts