Sprouty garlic

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
rebbetzin said:
valmom said:
How do you get your garlic bulbs to sprout? Mine just dry out and get brown if I store them too long. I like the idea of potting some up and using the greens like chives. If I put the cloves somewhere damper will they sprout?
You might try buying some garlic from a different source.

I have had some that just goes "bad" and never sprouts too.

I wonder if... it has been Irradiated when it does that? Most of the time mine sprouts rather quickly in the summertime, but much slower in the winter. Maybe temperature has something to do with it.
From what I've been reading on this forum (or was it on SS?) anyway, it seems that sometimes store bought garlic is treated with something that keeps it from getting sprouty.

I have one whole row of sprouted garlic in my garden thriving and 5 little pots in my window sill that are about 6 inches tall so far, all from the grocery store veggie isle.

I hate to waste anything, so I usually just throw it in the garden or to my beloved chickens.

Food Network says that garlic tastes bitter if it starts to sprout, I never can tell the difference. (I must have rustic taste buds.) I used to just peel out the green sprout and go on about cooking. Now like Rosalind says I will try to use the green sprout while cooking.:p

Latest posts