Squash Bug Squasher

Catalina

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I just got this email from Mother Earth News

I'm writing today to invite you to try out a technique this summer for squash bug control. If this bug causes problems in your garden, read on.

Some years ago, I wrote a report about research done at Texas A&M that found trap crops of early plantings of squash could attract "up to 90 percent of squash bugs in the area." The key is to plant a few pots of squash indoors, earlier than your usual timing (the bugs are reportedly most attracted to winter squash varieties), then move the plants into the garden as soon as you can. Overwintering squash bugs will make a beeline for them (who knows how they find these plantsbugs are so amazing). The researchers suggested laying a few boards on the ground around the trap crop, and then turning the boards over and squishing the bugs, which like to hide on the undersides. Delay sowing your main squash crops as long as you can, continuing to squish any bugs that show up at the trap crop.

Now, we've come up with what we think might be an improvement on that technique: a "Squash-Bug Squisher"! Instead of just using whatever is handy to squish the bugs on each board, we expect it would be quicker and more effective if you connected two boards together with hinges, so you could pick up the Squisher, flip it over and slam the two boards against each other. The boards will have to be very flatwe're thinking that fiber cement siding, which is highly resistant to warping and heavier than wood, might work well.

So, what do you sayif squash bugs are a challenge in your garden, why not pop a few squash seeds into some pots this week, and give this technique a try this season? We've posted a Squash-Bug Squisher page, http://www.motherearthnews.com/Squash-Bug-Control-Squisher-Trap-Crop.aspx, where you can post your ideas and questions, and eventually, report your results.

Happy Gardening,

Cheryl Long
Editor in Chief

P.S. The Texas researchers also mention that the squash trap crop will attract cucumber beetles, and that you can drown many of your spring cuke beetles by placing pans painted yellow and filled with soapy water beside the squash trap crop. (The beetles are attracted to the yellow color.)

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
You can buy/plant those uber cheap--10 cents-15 cents/package--squash seeds for your living sacrifices. :D I get these are the following places:
--farm supply stores (they always have a display)
--Walgreens (they always have an aisle with them)
--WalMart (they sometimes have 'em cheap, early in the season and late in the season)

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Catalina.. I think that is a workable idea, I am glad you posted it, I got the letter from Mother Earth yesterday, and thought about sharing it also,just slow today
I did comment that with all my health issues, I would be too slow to squish by the time I got them uncovered, my solution was to teach my grandkiddies the fine art of "squishing"...and their mother is trying to teach them kindness.......hummmm, dont know if I should ..but then again, grandmas can SOMETIMES get by with things :weee

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
4grand, you make me laugh. My SIL sent me photos of her gardens last year and I commented how beautiful and uneaten everything was (even her hostas). She attributes it to her two young boys, who are always on bug expeditions!! Maybe I can rent them when squash bug season begins!!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Saw that this morning and thought it was a neat idea too. Love stuff like that! I like to pick the potato beetles, tomato horn worms, etc off by hand and drown them.
Aphids...now that's another story. :barnie

My toddler used to pick bugs up and play with them, but lately she is all about squishing them. She keeps having nightmares about a spider in her bed (she saw Daddy squish a big one in the basement a couple weeks ago). Now all the asian lady beetles, flys and wasps are waking up and buzzing around the window panes trying to get out, so this has been really bad timing and she is really torn up over bugs right now! We can't go to bed if there is a fly banging around the ceiling. He must be dispatched first or she won't sleep. So maybe if I set her loose on some squash bugs, she'll have her revenge and get it out of her system! :lol:

She's commandeered my fly swatter and added it to her cashe of toys. She calls it her Bee Smacker. A toddler armed with a fly swatter is a fearful thing. I say--please don't go after my honeybees!!!
:hide

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I've lost the battle with squash bugs the past 3 years, so I might have to try this. I like the thought of smashing those little *&^$#$^ buggers, even tho they do smell!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Got that yesterday too, I was going to share it, but totally just got busy.

So, we're all Mother Earth Junkies now a days huh?! :lol:

Latest posts