squash bugs? (photo added)

chickhamm

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
i have an infestation of these little bugs, the young ones are light grey/blue, triangular shaped with black legs, as they get older they are grey to brown . Any suggestions on how to get rid of them?

chickhamm
Theressa
GA

5126_squash_bugs.jpg

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Can you provide a little better description or maybe a picture?

Are they beetles or worms or just a soft bodied bug?

What damage are they actually causing and are only the squash affected?

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
If they are what I am thinking you better be careful. They will kill the whole plant when they dig in the lay eggs. On day it will be nice big pretty, next flat and limp. My advise (if you aren't organic) spray them quick.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I guess they are describing squash bugs.

If this is the case you have a few remedies for them that don't involve spraying.

Dusting with lime will repel them off of your plants. Hand picking is probably the best method. If you place a small board on the ground in the evening the bugs will congregate under them and then you can squish them in the morning or unleash the chickens on them.

Also, the eggs are usually laid on the underside of leaves and you can easily pick them. Insecticidal soaps are a good organic control to help kill the larvae if you don't catch all the eggs. Horticultural sprays should also help with controlling the eggs.

Good luck!

chickhamm

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hand picking is not an option, there are just way to many of them. The board might work, i worry about letting the chickens loose in the garden because im afraid they would dig up the roots.

chickhamm
Theressa
GA

Peeps

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I've recently found the same problem on my squash. The ole dreaded stinkbugs. I have sprayed my plants with Castile Soap and water. I also heard that Dawn dishwashing detergent and water is good for getting rid of alot of insects. I have also heard that they burrow in the ground around the roots. Darn critters.

Peeps:D

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Unfortunately with squash bugs (Anasa tristis) it is so very hard to actually kill the adults without using heavy chemical sprays.

The nymphs and eggs are killed relatively easy and if you use the above methods I described, you should be able to effectively handle them.

Also, a shop-vac might work too! A friend and fellow gardener uses a shop-vac in the garden to go around sucking up bugs. This might be more effective than the board for you to get all those bugs off now.

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
wondering through the garden with a shop-vac? I hope the neighbors understand what she is doing.:lol: It sounds like a good idea but I bet it looks strange!

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Grow 4 Food said:
wondering through the garden with a shop-vac? I hope the neighbors understand what she is doing.:lol: It sounds like a good idea but I bet it looks strange!
:lol::lol: Now that is a tidy gardener!

Those are ugly looking bugs alright! Diazonol will knock them down pretty quick. Just don't use it around kids, or pets, and wear protective gloves etc.. Try to keep it off any of the squash itself as well.
It's one of the harsher pesticides, and NOT for organic gardeners, but sure does the job in bad infestations.

Latest posts