squash bugs? (photo added)

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Grow 4 Food said:
wondering through the garden with a shop-vac? I hope the neighbors understand what she is doing.:lol: It sounds like a good idea but I bet it looks strange!
bills said:
Those are ugly looking bugs alright! Diazonol will knock them down pretty quick. Just don't use it around kids, or pets, and wear protective gloves etc.. Try to keep it off any of the squash itself as well.
It's one of the harsher pesticides, and NOT for organic gardeners, but sure does the job in bad infestations.
Yeah, if you are going to spray and want a little more "organic" method, Sevin can be effective with squash bugs but can cause more problems than it's worth. Diazonol can be very effective but needs to actually come in contact when being applied.

Yeah, the shop-vac might look a little funny but it really does work! lol

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
OaklandCityFarmer said:
Grow 4 Food said:
wondering through the garden with a shop-vac? I hope the neighbors understand what she is doing.:lol: It sounds like a good idea but I bet it looks strange!
bills said:
Those are ugly looking bugs alright! Diazonol will knock them down pretty quick. Just don't use it around kids, or pets, and wear protective gloves etc.. Try to keep it off any of the squash itself as well.
It's one of the harsher pesticides, and NOT for organic gardeners, but sure does the job in bad infestations.
Yeah, if you are going to spray and want a little more "organic" method, Sevin can be effective with squash bugs but can cause more problems than it's worth. Diazonol can be very effective but needs to actually come in contact when being applied.

Yeah, the shop-vac might look a little funny but it really does work! lol
I have always used seven dust on my plants if needed (usually just a couple times a season). What are the problems that seven can cause?

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Broke Down Ranch said:
I have always used seven dust on my plants if needed (usually just a couple times a season). What are the problems that seven can cause?
The main issue behind carbaryl (sold as Sevin and other products like it) is that it's a broad spectrum pesticide that doesn't do not discriminate what it goes after. This causes huge problems for pollinators and beneficials especially bees and butterflies, hover flies, lady bugs, tachinid wasps, etc.

It easily can leach into water sources and can cause problems to water organisms.

Long term exposure to the product has been known to cause birth defects in mammals and carbaryl is a carcinogen.

lovemyflock

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I have these same bugs attacking my pumkins. I HATE them!! :barnie

Have you had any luck getting rid of them yet?? I went on a squashing/egg picking spree last night...it was quite gross

punkin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I noticed that 3 or 4 of my squash plants were really puny yesterday. I thought it was from lack of rain. Today I took a closer look and sure enough, it was squash bugs :rant
I have chickens but I can't free range them and there were way to many bugs to pick off for them. Sooo, I got a slick sided lid and just cut off the infested stems. They've produced enough already anyway. I carried them over to the chicken run and dumped them in. What a feast for them :weee

Peeps

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Shop vac works great. I did get a warning from my hubby....If he got any phone calls about what I was doing. He might have to commit me!!!! LOL

Seriously, I haven't uses any insecticides on my garden. The safest way I have found is the shop vac.

karanleaf

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Squash bugs, :barnie Stink bugs :barnie :rant
I think the shop vac soundsgreat.... Hey doesn't it suck through a basket type catch before it goes to the caninster???
IF so then you will be making Bug Juice :gig :he :gig :lol:
Sounds like a bug repellant recipe to me :th :lol:

I think I'll have my Husband go buy me one I can strap over the shoulder......
Look out,, shhh... I'm huntin bugs :gig

flinthillbillie

Leafing Out
Reaction score
How about just letting one or two chickens at a time into the garden with you? I wouldn't want my whole flock in there either - they'd do way too much damage, but if I just let one or two in they don't seem to hurt anything and I know they're getting some of the bugs.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
karanleaf said:
Squash bugs, :barnie Stink bugs :barnie :rant
I think the shop vac soundsgreat.... Hey doesn't it suck through a basket type catch before it goes to the caninster???
IF so then you will be making Bug Juice :gig :he :gig :lol:
Sounds like a bug repellant recipe to me :th :lol:

I think I'll have my Husband go buy me one I can strap over the shoulder......
Look out,, shhh... I'm huntin bugs :gig
"Who you gonna' call? Bug Busters!"

Sorry, it was an image in my head of you slinging it over your shoulder; have you ever seen, Ghost Busters? lol! ;)